static/squeal

db13

OSNN Newbie
Hello,I bought a used computer and it has a squeal comming from the tower.I`m running windows me on a gateway select 1000 cs with memory=128-mb 133/100/66-mhz 64-bit 4-clock 16x8 sdram dimm,MSI Athlon 1-GHz mother board,250-watt 3.3 volt power supply,Creative Labs Audio PCI 128D digital sound card,nVIDIA Vanta TNT-2 16MB AGP video card.What happen is when it starts the squeal comes and it loses the monitor,or when its been on a while it does the same thing.I removed all the cards...modem,audio,video and the replaced them one at a time.All was fine untill I put the video card in then the squesl was back,so I replaced the video card with a new nVIDA GeForce MX 4000 AGP 128 MB DDR and it squealed.So I took out the AGP card loaded the drivers for a nVIDIA card from another computer which is a PCI video card and got the same squeal.I`ve checked all the fans and they are fine.So whats up...mother board?If so what would be a good replacement?Any other ideas?Thanks

Interesting that the squeal only occurs when "a video card" is seated. Does the AGP slot look like it's damaged, and does the card seat properly. Are you screwing the card in or is it fastened with plastic?

It's not software related, that won't cause an audible squeal as you describe. If you turn the PC on with the case open, is anything knocking against the video card itself? Perhaps a wire from a PSU lead or something?

kcnychief said:
Interesting that the squeal only occurs when "a video card" is seated. Does the AGP slot look like it's damaged, and does the card seat properly. Are you screwing the card in or is it fastened with plastic?

It's not software related, that won't cause an audible squeal as you describe. If you turn the PC on with the case open, is anything knocking against the video card itself? Perhaps a wire from a PSU lead or something?
no wires touching,the AGP slot looks good,I even installed a PCI video card and it still squealed.All the card are held in place with a metel clip thing...bad ground?

Try a different monitor.

Ok tried another monitor and different power sorce and the squeal remained.So I took a piece of rubber fuel line and tracked the squeal down to a little speaker on the mobo that "provides audible error codes during power on self test".I cant do pictures but here`s a link to Gateways site that shows the speaker http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/2510174/251017408.shtml Can I repair/replace this?Need a new mobo?Or does this mean some thing else?Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back