startup issues

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by PyrOmonkey, Jun 1, 2002.

1. PyrOmonkey

PyrOmonkey Guest

Hi, I was wondering how to stop certain programs from running when i start up. These programs run in the background as processes when i check the task manager. One particularaly annoying example is iexplore.exe which runs in the background for a while and then comes out front with adds. I can dissable them using task manager, but is there a way to disable them for good?

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Yes, get a popup stopper, such as SMASHER (www.popupstop.com). IEXPLORE.EXE is MS Internet Explorer (obviously) and if it is opening underneath the parent window then you need a popup stopper to stop this from happening. Either that, or disable JavaScript =)

3. PyrOmonkey

PyrOmonkey Guest

ok, but there are also a bunch of others, such as frontpage, adaptec, realplayer..... All of these run in the background as processes and i cant get rid of them

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Well, some of those you want running. but, if you don't want them running you can either uninstall the program or install a freeware application called RegCleaner, which allows you to remove items from your startup list.

Programs, like Tweak-XP also allow you to do this.

Or, life made simple:

Start
    Run
    msconfig
    Startup (tab)

Be careful what you remove though. Good luck.

5. PyrOmonkey

PyrOmonkey Guest

Excellent!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!:)