startup deletions reappearing

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tomsxp1, Apr 23, 2002.

1. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Hello, Everyone,, I have an HP pc with windows xp home edition, and everytime i start my pc i wait for everything to load, now loading in the taskbar is HP help Center and HP support icons, now i don't want them to load at startup, so i went to Msconf and then to starup programs tab and unchecked the boxs for these two items but when i restart my pc, they are there again and with a check mark in the boxs! How do i stop HP from putting these back? There must be a registry tweak for this, can anyone tell me how? Tom
  2. firehawk

firehawk OSNN Addict

If you open your registry and go to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run\ are they listed there? You can delete those entries if they are present. Same path under the HKCU key too.
  3. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

The only thing i see that comes near it is=HPSYSDRV.EXE Do you think that could be it?
  4. allan

allan Guest

That sounds like a driver for your hp hardware. Look in your startup folder and see if it's in there. Also check:

HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run\

(same path as before except in HKCU)
  5. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Allan, This is the only thing in the registry that i found,= c:\progra~1\hpinst~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe I dont think that is for support but you never know i guess, what do you think? Also, can you refresh me on how to get to my start up folder?
  6. allan

allan Guest

No, that's not it.

Click on Start, Programs, Startup
  7. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

HP is connected to a Backweb program and i cannot open the backweb file (it wont open) I know one or two times this so called Backweb screen came up and said i had to agree to use it or i would may not be able to use plug in feature! and the screen would not go away unless i agreed, so i did. I dont understand this HP with Backweb connection business? Did you ever hear of it? I saw an explaination of it on another forum but forgot to print out a copy.