Starting over with Slackware

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Big time Linux newbie here. So heres the situation. I have redhat 8 dual booting with XP Pro. I want to remove Redhat and replace it with the new slackware. Problem is that I have redhat installed in the MBR with GRUB and I don't want to loose XP. So what I'm wondering is what should I do. Will Slackware allow me to remove and replace redhat without any probs or will I need to remove redhat first, where do I get slackware 9 ISO's? Also will I need to rebuild my MBR so I can get XP to load ... if thats the case how do I redo my MBR .. i've never had to do that before. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanx

I'm not sure Linux newbie and Slackware goes too well together to begin with...

best way to learn imo - i learnt a fair bit bout linux by using slack as a n00b

Originally posted by BouncingSoul
Big time Linux newbie here. So heres the situation. I have redhat 8 dual booting with XP Pro. I want to remove Redhat and replace it with the new slackware. Problem is that I have redhat installed in the MBR with GRUB and I don't want to loose XP. So what I'm wondering is what should I do. Will Slackware allow me to remove and replace redhat without any probs or will I need to remove redhat first, where do I get slackware 9 ISO's? Also will I need to rebuild my MBR so I can get XP to load ... if thats the case how do I redo my MBR .. i've never had to do that before. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanx

1) Delete the partitions containing your RH installation.
2) Boot with a 98/ME floppy or get into the recovery console with your XP CD, and use the command: FDISK /MBR
That will restore the original NT boot loader, and u will be able to boot into Windows.
Then just install Slackware to it's own new partition, which will again install it's own copy of LILO to the MBR, so u can dual-boot between Windows and Slack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back