Starting over with Slackware

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by BouncingSoul, Mar 21, 2003.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Sioux Falls, SD
    Big time Linux newbie here. So heres the situation. I have redhat 8 dual booting with XP Pro. I want to remove Redhat and replace it with the new slackware. Problem is that I have redhat installed in the MBR with GRUB and I don't want to loose XP. So what I'm wondering is what should I do. Will Slackware allow me to remove and replace redhat without any probs or will I need to remove redhat first, where do I get slackware 9 ISO's? Also will I need to rebuild my MBR so I can get XP to load ... if thats the case how do I redo my MBR .. i've never had to do that before. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanx
  2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'm not sure Linux newbie and Slackware goes too well together to begin with...
  3. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

best way to learn imo - i learnt a fair bit bout linux by using slack as a n00b
  4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

New York City
    1) Delete the partitions containing your RH installation.
    2) Boot with a 98/ME floppy or get into the recovery console with your XP CD, and use the command: FDISK /MBR
    That will restore the original NT boot loader, and u will be able to boot into Windows.
    Then just install Slackware to it's own new partition, which will again install it's own copy of LILO to the MBR, so u can dual-boot between Windows and Slack.