Starting New Site

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by gapman, Aug 5, 2002.

1. gapman

gapman Guest

Guys take a look and tell me what you think please.

-gapman

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I like the design overall.. very nice work... and that shoutbox is pretty cool tooo :) some suggestions:

1.) Clear up the jagged edges on your logo
    2.) Same probelm with 'news.gif'
    3.) The blue 'cloudy' background doesnt seem to work with the overall grey look... try a lighter grey for that...

Just my opinion ;)

3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

A very pleasing site to look at and to navigate! Nice color coordination. The arrow feature is also nice.:)

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Sweet dude! Impressive I must say. I bet it looks like crap in Netscape! ;)

*rips code*
    Maybe not but would you mind? Just some code, not the design.

5. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

u shouldn't give up on us 800x600 ppl. there are still load's of us here.

the site look's good but takes AGES 2 load 4 us 56k's.

6. Jdstuhler

Jdstuhler Guest

Very Cool from a visual perspective..however not to practical from a business side....a little too busy

7. Helmer

Helmer Questions R me

I like it, alot! I'll check it out more thorough when I have the time..

8. gapman

gapman Guest

Thanks for the comments/suggestions guys. Keep me posted on what ya'll think of the site as it come up. :D

-gapman

9. Kw4ntuM

Kw4ntuM Guest

i like it, but u might try to port the images into gifs to get a clear BG and also, the funny mouse pointer looks unprofessional

chek out my site as well...not dun yet, but getting there
    http://www.impulsedevelopers.com

10. gapman

gapman Guest

Ok my site is finally making some headway, please come check it out and give me your inputs. Register and stay if would like. :D

Thanks,
    gapman

11. gapman

gapman Guest

Thanks guys! :D

Changed the site once again for good, I created my own theme called gapman.....come check it out! I still have to work a few bugs out over time. Link is in my sig.

gapman

12. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Like the overall design very much. Looks visually impressive, yet easy to navigate.

One thing, smooth out the buttoms on the top, and I think that's all that needs fixing. Otherwise, layout looks great.

13. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

I have to say I'm impressed. The layout and theme are well thought out. Navigation is a breeze. Nice job. :) Could use a cool "gapman" logo. That's about it.

14. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

okay, I'll be mean, I'm good at it.

you should write your own site management system; that way the code you have is the code you use, and there is nothing extra. I've never been a fan of blog, phpnuke, or other various site management systems. there is just a lot of crap included that you don't need, nor use, so what's the point?

layout: flows nicely, however, it is too cluttered.

colors: over all, good choice.

input buttons: dislike, the green does not fit.

left side table: too wide, items that consume these blocks don't need as much room. change the from pixels to percent and make it consume about 7 to 8%. It is better to use percents because then no matter what the end-user's resolution is, the site looks the same and flows better. When you use pixels, users on larger resolutions see a layout that isn't quite as appealing.

finally, lindows is a load of crap. windows > *

over all, good start. after a little work I am sure it will be ten times better.

15. gapman

gapman Guest

First off do you have the time to write your own site management system? I know I don't. And as far as you being a fan of the ones you listed that is your own personal opinion but my site is none of those.

Majority of all portal sites appear cluttered because they consist of a lot of content, I have never known content for a site to be a downfall useless it is just worthless, which I don't see this being my case.

Thanks.

This is another one of your personal opinions, but I believe it gives the site some contrast and matches the logos at that.

I am going to be the mean one on this, before you make accusations of someones code it might help to view the source first. I am already using relative positioning with percentages except for a few places at the top of the page where i am setting the page width so that is fits adequate on an 800x600 resolution monitor. By the way I am running my resolution at 1600x1200 and it looks damn good!

Another personal opinion, I don't think I have to beat a dead horse with this one.

Thanks for your comments over all, I am happy to hear some negative input here and there since I haven't been getting much, I guess it is bound to happen and that is when I will just head back to the drawing board and improve. ;)

gapman

16. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I did write my own site management system. It's not that hard. Like most, my site is backed by PHP and mySQL. All information is stored, and the site is dynamic. I simply access an administrative section and can make any changes I need. And I saw which one you were using, they are all basically the same.

I still don't like the green buttons, maybe a shade that matches your images more closely.

I quickly looked at the source and saw pixels being used in a few locations. However, I did not comb through your code, so I may be wrong. I especially noticed excess 'white space' in your affiliates and get a domain. Maybe if you removed those blocks and placed the ~88x33 buttons along the bottom, that would look nice. Also, if you so choose to keep the left column that wide, expand the shoutbox to fill the block. =)

Yes, Windows > Lindows is a personal opinion, one that I am not alone on.

Your site has much potential and I am sure it will turn out well.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I'm just trying to offer my professional opinion, and if you don't think I am good at it, ask around.

17. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

*vouches for matt___* :)

18. gapman

gapman Guest

Thanks for the help.

gapman