Start Menu - Clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos945

OSNN Senior Addict
Check out this cool shiz, I tried to fool with this a bit but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

I'd like the end up with the clock replacing the "start" text and have my quicklaunch icons in the right space, you can see it is overlapping now. Then just turn off the old clock! Finally found a useful purpose to labeling the start button.

The app that put me on this path was AlphaV.

Nice idea!
smile.gif

Well I got the clock to display EXACTLY how I want it to but....its not very user friendly! :D

Basically I had to hack explorer.exe and put enough text on the button to make room for the clock to fit without cutting off my other buttons. Then I ran AlphaV17 to get the clock to show up and viola! Unfortunately after much research I've not come up with the code to put in the start text area to display the clock. I have no idea how the author of AlphaV17 managed it but it shouldn't be that hard. **looks around for a programmer**

If someone can figure out the clock coding I can put together a patch to 'mod' explorer.exe.

Thought I'd post this to give any programmers who show up a good chuckle, this is what it looks like when a nonprogrammer tries to get time to be displayed on the start menu! :)

Just had a little play with Alpha IV - see it cuts a little off the QuickLaunch bar when this is active, if you're using quicklaunch I guess... Have you thought about asking the guy that wrote the program for either advice or maybe even suggesting he could make a tweak for this - there's probably more scope for it to be popular than his program to "do it all" ! Just a thought - he would surely know how - could do it in moments....

Thats very creative! It would be cool if it worked.

hsn said:
Thats very creative! It would be cool if it worked.

It does work - only problem is you have to run Alpha IV for it to be in effect - not sure Chaos made that as clear as they could have, but that is the problem. If you leave Alpha running you only have to tick a box - and it's there! :cool:

nice - but unstable!

hsn said:

Just thought I would let you know I tried putting it in my startup - it does work, but seems to cause occasional crashes of both Explorer and IE, leastways for me.... would be interested to hear if anyone else tries it and finds it more stable.

Just thought I would let people know it could have and adverse impact on staibility - I am not about to get into emailing author, have enough to do :rolleyes:

Mainframeguy said:
Just thought I would let you know I tried putting it in my startup - it does work, but seems to cause occasional crashes of both Explorer and IE, leastways for me.... would be interested to hear if anyone else tries it and finds it more stable.

Just thought I would let people know it could have and adverse impact on staibility - I am not about to get into emailing author, have enough to do :rolleyes:
Thanks for letting me know, will try it when I get home. :)

chaos945 said:
Thought I'd post this to give any programmers who show up a good chuckle, this is what it looks like when a nonprogrammer tries to get time to be displayed on the start menu! :)

Sure I have seen this on a tweaking application.

Might be Magellass win tweak or something.

Lee said:
Might be Magellass win tweak or something.

Nope not Magellass's stuff, just went and tried it. You can rename the startbutton with it but no clock...I need to know how windows gets its input for the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back