Start Menu - Clock!

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by chaos945, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Check out this cool shiz, I tried to fool with this a bit but it didn't work out. :rolleyes:

I'd like the end up with the clock replacing the "start" text and have my quicklaunch icons in the right space, you can see it is overlapping now. Then just turn off the old clock! Finally found a useful purpose to labeling the start button.

The app that put me on this path was AlphaV.

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

That would be mad cool if you got it working.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Nice idea! [​IMG]

4. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Well I got the clock to display EXACTLY how I want it to but....its not very user friendly! :D

Basically I had to hack explorer.exe and put enough text on the button to make room for the clock to fit without cutting off my other buttons. Then I ran AlphaV17 to get the clock to show up and viola! Unfortunately after much research I've not come up with the code to put in the start text area to display the clock. I have no idea how the author of AlphaV17 managed it but it shouldn't be that hard. **looks around for a programmer**

If someone can figure out the clock coding I can put together a patch to 'mod' explorer.exe.

5. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Thought I'd post this to give any programmers who show up a good chuckle, this is what it looks like when a nonprogrammer tries to get time to be displayed on the start menu! :)

6. ~bk

~bk I Political User

Sweet! :)

7. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Just had a little play with Alpha IV - see it cuts a little off the QuickLaunch bar when this is active, if you're using quicklaunch I guess... Have you thought about asking the guy that wrote the program for either advice or maybe even suggesting he could make a tweak for this - there's probably more scope for it to be popular than his program to "do it all" ! Just a thought - he would surely know how - could do it in moments....

8. Hsn

Hsn King

Thats very creative! It would be cool if it worked.

9. Mainframeguy

It does work - only problem is you have to run Alpha IV for it to be in effect - not sure Chaos made that as clear as they could have, but that is the problem. If you leave Alpha running you only have to tick a box - and it's there! :cool:

10. Hsn

Hsn King

Nice :cool:

11. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Emailed the author FYI, Russian guy, hope he responds.

12. Mainframeguy

nice - but unstable!

Just thought I would let you know I tried putting it in my startup - it does work, but seems to cause occasional crashes of both Explorer and IE, leastways for me.... would be interested to hear if anyone else tries it and finds it more stable.

Just thought I would let people know it could have and adverse impact on staibility - I am not about to get into emailing author, have enough to do :rolleyes:

13. Hsn

Hsn King

Thanks for letting me know, will try it when I get home. :)

14. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Sure I have seen this on a tweaking application.

Might be Magellass win tweak or something.

15. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Nope not Magellass's stuff, just went and tried it. You can rename the startbutton with it but no clock...I need to know how windows gets its input for the clock.

16. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.