StandBy/Hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by 12390, Nov 28, 2004.

1. 12390

12390 OSNN One Post Wonder

I have XP and whenever i try to put my PC Into Stand By mode it succsesfuly does it, but wen i bring it back to normal it freezes. When it comes back there's a blue screen and it says KERNEL something something error..How do i fix this so my computer can go in and out of shutdown/hibernating without this happeneing?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Not a solution, but I wouldn't use these features, they have never worked properly. Just set the Monitor and Hard Drives to turn off after a certain time.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Yeah, what J said. I have a machine where they work but most don't depends on the MB, etc.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Standby and Hibernate both work flawlessly on my old desktop and my Dell notebook. [​IMG]
    You just have to use hardware and drivers that support it (hence the WHQL).

5. maybe they didn't install good when you were installing windows, reinstalling windows and select repair instead of install, so like that it would just replace all the files and leave eveyrthing else in tact, coz if you install it again it'll install a new registy and you're gonna have to install everything else again

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

in order to make standby and hibernate to work you need three things
    1) correct graphics drivers
    2) correct sound drivers
    3) enough disk space to store the ram context if you are hibernating

7. 12390

12390 OSNN One Post Wonder

ooooh how do i know if i have all of the correct things?

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You could post your hardware specs, and we might be able to point you in the right direction.

9. what does the sound card have to do with hirbernating? i didn't know it was necessary