Standby and CD-Rom Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hawk, Oct 15, 2002.

1. hawk

hawk Guest

Hi all,

I use WinXP and I just noticed that when I return from Standby, XP no longer sees that I have a CD-Rom drive. It works fine before I go into it; it's just when I return no drive is listed in Explorer or in Devices. I am just guessing that when XP shuts off the power to my harddisks, it turns off power to the CD-ROM drive, and 'forgets' to turn it back on. I just got a new power supply to combat the crackling from the last one and this could be related to the new one. I do not feel like buying another power supply if this one works fine and going into Standby isn't crucial for me, I tend to just leave my computer on overnight and turn off the monitor without turning off my disks. If there is reason to turn off my disks, then I would, but if not, then I'll stay away from Standby.

Does anyone have any suggestions...either with Standby and my CD-Rom drive or whether it is necessary to turn off my disks regularly? ( I use a HP 9300+ and a ECS K7S5A mobo with a AMD 1700+)

Thanks a bunch.

2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

When you come back from standby open control panel->system->Hardware->Device manager, and right click and scan for hardware changes, If your lucky the CD-rom will come back.

3. hawk

hawk Guest

but i wouldn't want to do this everytime... are there any other solutions?

thanks

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See if this will help.

5. hawk

hawk Guest

thanks for the reply but I do have the latest service pack so that isn't the problem. If I let XP turn off my disks after 30 min or whatever, everything is fine. It is just Standby which gives me the problem.

6. hawk

hawk Guest