Stability and Usability

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I just finished downloading build 5270 of vista and I am thinking about giving it a go, but if I do I will be forced to use it as my primary OS. So my question is, is this build stable enough to use in daily use? How is compatibility and such? Drivers, games stuff like that.

Or should I just stick with XP and wait for its release?

I've been using Vista as the only OS on my laptop since July of last year (Build 5112), because I feel that being a part of the technical beta program comes with a certain amount of responsibility (if you aren't going to run it, test it and report issues, why accept the invitation, right?), and because I do have a XP x64 desktop that I do most of my actual work on.

With that said, I must warn you that there certainly are some software compatibility issues at the moment, especially with apps such as antivirus tools, defraggers, certain VPN clients etc. Drivers may or may not be available, depending on what specific hardware and peripherals you're using. It's a gamble, really - the only way to know if all your hardware and software is supported is to try it out for yourself.

Is there any particular reason why you have to run it as your only OS and can't dual-boot with XP? If you can do that, your problem is solved. :)

Thanks for the Input Net, my reasoning for not doing dual boot might be under false pretenses. I have read in various places that doing a dual boot with XP and Vista has lead to problems for a lot of people and I am just trying to avoid this problem.

If you think that its safe then maybe I will go that route. Also, I am assuming that Vista requires drivers written specifically for the OS?

I know plenty of people on the beta newsgroups have been running dual-boot systems without issues. Of course, as you always should, make sure you do a backup of the system before you install Vista. A complete drive image using something like Ghost or TrueImage would be a good idea.

As far as drivers go, it depends. Many of your devices should be automatically detected during setup, and Vista-specific drivers will be installed if they're found. Upon first boot, you should check Windows Update (there's a new section in Control Panel for this now, rather than the usual website) since it contains additional drivers too. Then, if you're still left with devices without drivers, try the XP drivers. I've been using the XP drivers for my laptop's Synaptics touchpad in 5270, and they work just fine.

Thanks again for the input I figured it would be you that stopped by :) I think I am gonna give it a go this weekend. Wish me luck!

Lucky I have a seperate rig to test it on, I am not quite ready to switch to it just yet, but as the beta progresses I will use it more and more.

Haven't decided when I will be making the switch just yet, but I will most likely try and plan things so all my apps are running from a seperate partition so that when I wipe with each new build there will little to no damage, obviously this isn't possible in all cases, but it would be nice if I could reformat at any moment without worrying about my data.

have you guys tried to install games and such on the latest builds?

VenomXt said:
have you guys tried to install games and such on the latest builds?
Nope, haven't tried games on it. The laptop it's running on is hardly a capable gaming machine anyway. :D
I've been toying with the idea of installing it as a secondary OS on my desktop with XP x64, but I'm not sure if I want to do that just yet.

anyone do a raid setup with it yet? i might put it on my rig next time around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back