SSI links inside page

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jonifen, Feb 19, 2003.

1. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Firstly, look here - http://www28.brinkster.com/jonathancain/_new/jctk.shtml

Where it says "main content here - SSI pages in via links above ^^^", I want pages to be included (in place of the text of course :)) depending on which link is clicked on either the category links (im thinking of having menu bars there) at the top, or from the left hand side (which is a page called links.shtml - also loaded by SSI).

Is this possible to do? I have done it before on other websites, where I used a mixture of SQL and ASP, but I'm sure thats a pretty long-winded method and theres probably a much easier way.

Did all that make sense?
    Anything else anyone needs to know, ask... and thanks in advance for any help given :)

2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

could it be done with javascript perhaps?

im running the site on brinkster atm, but id like to get it running on my ntl webspace (if i can) cuz the ftp makes it all so much easier

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

4. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

those pages brought a moment of inspiration to me :)

ive worked it out... and its not quite how i thought it would be done originally.

split the main page into 2... part 1 is all the code UPTO where the SSI page would sit. part 2 is all the code AFTER where the SSI page would sit.

for example:

<!-- #include file="part1.shtml">
    this here is the content which would change from page to page.
    <!-- #include file="part2.shtml">

example:
    http://www28.brinkster.com/jonathancain/_new/winxp.shtml

now all pages can be linked to directly, and they'll all have the same layout, with the same stylesheet :)

thanks Geffy for those links... probably wouldnt've thought of it if I hadn't read them :)

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

np :p

glad to return the favour after you helped me out with that CSS table problem