Spontanious reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ebe, Jan 29, 2002.

1. ebe

ebe Guest

The PC reboots (bluescreen now - to see the error message) very often, maybe once an hour. I get this message:

---o---
    ***STOP: 0x00000023 (0x000E100, 0xF3287524, 0xF3287224, 0x2EF99EA7)

Fastfat.sys - Adress F9959BC7 base at F9955000, Datestamp 3b7de38a
    ---o---

Can someone please help me? :)

Mainboard is K7S5A (Elitegroup)

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

What version of XP are you running? Home or Pro?

3. ebe

ebe Guest

Sorry I forgot to tell; I have XP Pro

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Darn. I was hoping you'd say you had Windows 2000, that's the only thing I could find anything on. The fix for that was service pack 2. Have you been to windows update for all the hotfixes? I'll look around some more to see what I can find... hopefully someone will jump in and give up the solution to your problem.

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I found one reference that suggested heavy fragmentation of the drive. Suggested procedure was to run a chkdsk /f on the drive and then defrag it... something to try.

6. ebe

ebe Guest

Thank u very much Lonman. I'll try defragmenting and chckdsk /f and hope it will help. b.t.w.; running chkdsk was mentioned in the error message, and there were also an advice to disable anti-virus - which I have. I have installed updates.

7. GLVSR

GLVSR Guest

I had a smilar problem. It turned out to be the scanner I had was not compatible with XP. I disconnected the scanner and no more problems (except that I can't use the scanner).

8. ebe

ebe Guest

Ok, thanx. But I have no scanner, printer etc. attached to the PC. I have a Daytona GF2 mx 200 graphic card, K7S5A mainboard with sound from Elitegroup, duron 850 CPU, 256 SDRAM, a network card and an old CD-ROM

9. tpfeffer

tpfeffer Guest

See this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;;Q289205&ID=KB;;Q289205

10. ebe

ebe Guest

Thanx, but I run XP Pro. Can I use service pack for win2k anyway?

11. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

dont think thats a good idea. Probably wont load neway

12. ebe

ebe Guest

I think so too.. I got a tip to disable Plug and Play OS in BIOS. May that be a solution? yesterday I disabled COM-ports and some other things in BIOS and the computer hasn't had any reboots since.. But suddely it does... hope not :)