• Ubisoft should patch the game to support PS2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care, I don't like Splinter Cell Games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

Mecham

With the news of Ubisoft announcing the development of yet another Splinter Cell game, the gaming community were very excited about this news. I discovered a long time ago that Ubisoft was developing the game with Unreal Technology which meant the game would be very powerful indeed, what I did not realise, was they would be using Pixel Shader 3, whereby only people with high-end GPU’s, would be able to play the game, therefore anybody who does not have PS3 on their card would not be able to run the game.

Personally I believe this was a bad decision on Ubisoft behalf because not everybody has a high-end machine with a X800 card. In my professional opinion Ubisoft should have added an option to choose between PS2 and PS3, whereby you would be able to run the game. Ubisoft in my option will lose out on their sales because of this decision, it will also upset a lot of people who will probably go out on Friday when the game is released in the UK and purchase the game and find out they cannot run the game because they do not have a card compatible with the specifications of the game. The game itself is a hungry platform with requirements of 3GH processor and 1GB of RAM but, ONLY supports PS3.

Dad decision by Ubisoft, Sales will probably suffer, because of this. On a percentage value I would estimate that around 35% of people have high-end machines at home with a card compatible to run “SCDA”... This is just an estimated figure and not to be taken as fact. Although I have a high-end machine but, do not have an X800 card as specified on the spec for the game, this is not a problem because likely I can go out and buy one without worrying about spending probably the best part of £400.00 on a new card. The main augment I have here is the fact that not everybody can ill afford to go out and spend this kind of money.

1. In your opinion, do you believe Ubisoft should have made the option to twitch between PS2 and PS3.

2. Should Ubisoft patch the game to make it available to PS2. I realise this would be a costly process but in the long run their sales would increase.

Give me you opinion.

Last edited:
Re: Spliter Cell Double Agent only supports Pixel Shader 3

Oops I made a boob on the poll 4 should be the following.

4. I don't care I don't like Splinter Cell Games.

Oops I made a boob on the poll 4 should be the following.

4. I don't care I don't like Splinter Cell Games.
Edited ;)

I think it's a shame that they didn't add support for PS 2, but to be honest a PS 3 graphics card will cost about £70 these days, and if you have enough money for a 3Ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM it is probably fair to assume you have enough for a PS 3 graphics card.

Like I said, it is a shame that PS 2 support isn't there but I don't think it will matter that much in the end.

title should be splinter not spliter

Personally I believe this was a bad decision on Ubisoft behalf because not everybody has a high-end machine with a X800 card.

Nope, I wish I could use my X800. Minimum spec card from ATI is the X1600

I think it's a shame that they didn't add support for PS 2, but to be honest a PS 3 graphics card will cost about £70 these days, and if you have enough money for a 3Ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM it is probably fair to assume you have enough for a PS 3 graphics card.

If you have a desktop system that is, I bought a laptop (DRT) when I emmigrated from the UK. 3.8ghz, 2gb RAM and an X800, I bought SC DA on the weekend without looking at the back of the box, loaded it and made some rather explicit exclamations as the spec checker told me I was shagged. I've searched everywhere to try and buy an X1800 mobility and unless I buy a whole new system (not happening!) it looks I'm out of I'm out of luck. Even if I could get hold of one I'm sure it would cost more than £70.

I think the decision to go PS3 only really stinks and I hope they pull their thumb outta their ass and release a patch for the rest of us lowlies soon.

Sorry for the rant but I'm a little peeved about the whole thing :)

That's interesting, but not really suprising, as Obsidian Entertainment have already moved in the direction of Obsoleteing older than ATI 9000 cards (and maybe Nvidia 5600 cards?) with Neverwinter Nights 2. My card apprently (an old 9600XT) shoudln't even work according to the box, but does.

The problem is the graphics themselves don't really look that special enough to obsolete the older cards. I would be all up for supporting games that make jumps to next gen graphics and use them to a large extent (for example, Alan Wake does look special and may merit high requirements) but it seems that some games are made with higher graphics requirements just to get around engine tweaking which if coded better could do equally as well.

A good example of this is to compare Supreme Commander to say Earth 2160. Both are similar mould games in a way, but supreme commander needs probably at least 2GB to run properly but doesn't look really as though it merits the high requirements, wheras in 2160 the engine is pretty solid and runs well with the graphics looking equally as good as supreme commanders.

This leads to the ultimate question: are PC games makers succuming to powergamers and leaving general gamers out in the cold? Or are they just aggressively pushing up the arms race.

Edit: Its a shame as well, but I was actually considering getting this game, guess now that I won't.

If you have a desktop system that is, I bought a laptop (DRT) when I emmigrated from the UK. 3.8ghz, 2gb RAM and an X800, I bought SC DA on the weekend without looking at the back of the box, loaded it and made some rather explicit exclamations as the spec checker told me I was shagged. I've searched everywhere to try and buy an X1800 mobility and unless I buy a whole new system (not happening!) it looks I'm out of I'm out of luck. Even if I could get hold of one I'm sure it would cost more than £70.

Yes that's a good point, I forgot about laptops completely!

This is obviously an nVidia backed stunt. My x850XTPE was cutting edge only 12-18 months ago and cost US$500. I can't even run SCDE at all. Normally I'm a person who pushes for progress in game software development but this is just completely over the top by Ubisoft. If the game had nextgen graphics I'd say fine but it doesn't.

A very poor decision on their part. I can see a big backlash coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back