Speedtouch Modem keeps dying...

i personally dont have a router - cant afford one :(

i hear from recommendations that the linksys one (cant remember what model it is) is meant to be v.good. Look around in ppls sigs on this forum, i know ive seen a fair few ppl with that router.

well cable modems are what u get with your cable package. you're stuck with that for as long as it takes for the company to replace it (if they upgrade all modems that is) or if you change to another isp and the cable company will take the modem back anyway.

ntl users (not all, but most) have their cable modem running through their tv box (i.e. the tv box acts as their modem - the cat5 cable (sometimes a Xover and sometimes a straight) plugs into the back of the digital tv box and into the back of the NIC on the system. Other ntl users who have a separate modem have a similar setup to those on blueyonder. a cat5 coaxial cable comes into the house and plugs into the back of the modem box. a cat5 utp cable goes from the back of the modem to the NIC on the system. there is no chance of changing modems or anything :/

as far as i know with adsl, u can change the modem, but most ppl use the "stingray" as its the most popular, and altho there are loads of problems with it, it must have something good about it for the companies to keep shipping it out to the new customers.

Zone Alarm sux!!!!!

problems connecting to my ISP with it, so i uninstalled(or so I thought). It left a number of files on my hard drive along with a lovely entry in the registry. Nothing like searching for all those files, deleting them, then marching into the registry(p*ssed off i might add) and removing all the bloody strings there.

I would recommend Norton, I have had no problems with it, although sometimes just disabling it gets me back online.

usb ONLY? no chance of getting an eth capable modem? I'd change providers.

when you are watching cable tv and go online at the same time will that affect your speed?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back