Speed up browsing in XP

C

cheetah

Can someone help explain the below mentioned process. I'm a bit confused with the process where he says: "begin copy and paste Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00". If he means copy from another Editor which I don't have, can I manually create the DWORD in the mentioned registry? Last thing about creating a dnscache.reg which I don't really understand. Do I copy all the below mentioned into a notepad and save it as dnscache.reg and then merge.

[when you connect to a web site your computer sends information back and forth, this is obvious. Some of this information deals with resolving the site name to an IP address, the stuff that tcp/ip really deals with, not words. This is DNS information and is used so that you will not need to ask for the site location each and every time you visit the site. Although WinXP and win2000 has a pretty efficient DNS cache, you can increase its overall performance by increasing its size.
You can do this with the registry entries below:
begin copy and paste
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\
Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d
end copy and paste
make a new text file and rename it to dnscache.reg. The copy and paste the above into it and save it. Then merge it into the registry. ]

What you do is copy and paste the info between the lines into Notepad and then save the new file onto your Desktop. Call it whatever you want but it must have .reg at the end. Then just double-click it.:-

-------------begin copy and paste--------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

------------end copy and paste-----------------------------

Do not copy the lines, just the info between the lines

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back