just asking some help....
my mother gave me her old PC,

Winxp
256mb ram
64mb video geforce mx4000
1,7 intel celeron
ecs elite p4vmm2 Mobo

==
how the hell am i going to make this thing faster so that i can play coool games.... please dont advise me to upgrade because my PC is in the PC clinic for some serious damages such as "cottons in the Mobo capacitors"

thanks

Not really much you can do to play "coool games", 256MB RAM is barely enough to Run Windows.

You could run some simple tweaks, disable startup items, turn off unnecessary services, etc. But I don't think the end result will be desirable :(

my goodness.... its weeks till i will get my PC in the clinic...
no way........
this PC is really for mothers....

well, ill better play old games such as Counterstrike 1.6...
or GTA liberty City...

With a 1.6 Celery? good luck.

Hate to say it man, but upgrading will be your only option.

The machine is OK, and serves some people, but I really wouldn't think of it as a gaming rig. However, feel free to try. No harm in trying at all :)

Is the video onboard? If it's shared, that lowers your system RAM 192 :s

the video is not onboard... the onboard one is 32mb (s3 savagepro) errrrr...

how about some overclocking? though i dont have some options about overclocking in the Bios...

heheh my GTA liberty city runs well...hehehehe good for those rockstar dudes with minimum requirements...

but my NFS most wanted is kinda creepy... some delays in the video...
Godness gracious great balls of fire! maybe ill try solitaire......

The Celeron and 256 MB is the kiss of death. Dig up some 2000 vintage games, maybe 2001. Play at 640x480. best that can be done.

right click the desktop go to properties, go to 16 bit color, incredible performance booste, you'll hardly notice the graphic differance

then go into the performance applet, (windows key pause break, advanced, performance, hit "best performance"

your box will now run almost as fast as 512

Last edited:
add more Ram the biggest increase you will see is going from 256 to 512, and this is the cheapest add in performance wise.

falconguard said:
add more Ram the biggest increase you will see is going from 256 to 512, and this is the cheapest add in performance wise.
He won't upgrade, and that was mentioned in the first post.

Else, OC'ing is a waste on this hardware. Time to cut your losses my friend and stick to hearts and solitaire :p

Yep, I doubt you could OC successfully with that thing. Are you getting a better pc back?
If not you should really think of upgrading, you can get a whole new pc for 300 bucks...

Vanquished said:
Yep, I doubt you could OC successfully with that thing. Are you getting a better pc back?
If not you should really think of upgrading, you can get a whole new pc for 300 bucks...

====
i cant overclock it thought i have somekinda clockwarper software...

yes, my PC is still at the clinic..they are using hot-air to replace the Mobo capacitors that smiled...

good thing mama bought a 1g kingston ram... for 4,900 pesos, equivalent to 97 US dollars...

try some retro text based gaming - look out the old colossal cave adventure - that would run in like 32k of memory with an 8 bit processor so your rig would be a king in the era of such games - there remains a plethora of possibilities, but you need to be imaginative and not go with the herd playing the latest Oblivion or Elder Scrolls or NeverQuest or whatever....

Eh, Id just wait until you get your computer back, you should be able to refrain from gaming for a short while

yep.. poor old mama... heheh.. right now im playing old games that i never finished such as Neverwinternights.... Battle Realms: winter of the wolves......

I'm sure what I suggested was quite a help, I just don't know if he tried it but if he did is box will run almost as fast as one with 512 mb's

and also what's wrong with playing Neverwinternights - he's looked back and found some games to complete - sounds to me like quite the result Vanquished... less negative thinking please :p

Vanquished said:
Sorry we weren't much of a help :)

all of you helped me a lot..letting me realize that i must be patient for a Mamas pc isnt fast for cool games...hehehe... watch for some stars guys...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back