speakers not working

• Thread starter intoxicated
  • Start date
I

intoxicated

whenever i log in to windows xp using my username... there's no music stating that i started windows (same thing when i exit windows or even log off) also my msn messenger is affected... no sounds (new message, someone signed in, etc...) but when i sign in using someone's username everything is fine... you can hear the chime when u start xp, there's sounds in msn... i don't understand...

all the sounds are enabled in my username... same setting with other username... trillian is in my startup... when it starts and i get connected... i hear a sound... not with xp...

anyone knows anything about this?:confused:

Welcome to the forums!

Well since you say all the sounds are set up right, I don't really know. You could try making a new profile for yourself.

Go to accesories, volume control, make sure nothing is mute, check advanced properties also. Maybe you will find something there. And, Welcome to Xp-erience!

everything is ok

everything in my system is a-okay... i don't really know why it doesn't play any sound at all... :( it's really pissing me off :mad:

go to the sounds tab, and in "sound scheme" select "windows default"

i did that too... but everything is ok... still no sound...

I have the same problem. I would be interested in the outcome of this as well, as I have tried everything listed here so far! ;)

Has this been an issue since day one? or is this something that has just started? also is it only windows based sounds that are missing(or not responding). maybe you have a corrupted file or maybe even a virus.

this didn't start since day one... and if it's a virus... how come other users are fine but me... don't they use the same file to play those sounds...

do you have a built-in sound card on your mobo or did you add one?

weird
as last resort you can try deleting your profile (profile not user) from another administrative account, and then logon again, you'll lose your customizations, but i think the sounds will be there again
however i would play a little bit with the registry first
the settings for the sound are in
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents"
and the defaults are in "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents", this is the profile that you get at first logon
i would delete appevents in hkey_current_user first, then export HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents to a file (right click over the key-> export) open the file with a text editor as notepad, and replace all HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT with HKEY_CURRENT_USER
finally save the changes and import that file
sorry for my english
hope this helps

koko, for the sound card question... i have a built in one... i didn't add any...

and thanks for the registry tip, dav3st.... i'll try doing that....

thank you.. hopefully this works...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back