speakers not working

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by intoxicated, Dec 7, 2002.

1. intoxicated

intoxicated Guest

whenever i log in to windows xp using my username... there's no music stating that i started windows (same thing when i exit windows or even log off) also my msn messenger is affected... no sounds (new message, someone signed in, etc...) but when i sign in using someone's username everything is fine... you can hear the chime when u start xp, there's sounds in msn... i don't understand...

all the sounds are enabled in my username... same setting with other username... trillian is in my startup... when it starts and i get connected... i hear a sound... not with xp...

anyone knows anything about this?:confused:

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Welcome to the forums!

Well since you say all the sounds are set up right, I don't really know. You could try making a new profile for yourself.

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Go to accesories, volume control, make sure nothing is mute, check advanced properties also. Maybe you will find something there. And, Welcome to Xp-erience!

4. intoxicated

intoxicated Guest

everything is ok

everything in my system is a-okay... i don't really know why it doesn't play any sound at all... :( it's really pissing me off :mad:

5. dav3st

dav3st OSNN Addict

go to the sounds tab, and in "sound scheme" select "windows default"

6. intoxicated

intoxicated Guest

i did that too... but everything is ok... still no sound...

7. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

I have the same problem. I would be interested in the outcome of this as well, as I have tried everything listed here so far! ;)

8. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

Has this been an issue since day one? or is this something that has just started? also is it only windows based sounds that are missing(or not responding). maybe you have a corrupted file or maybe even a virus.

9. intoxicated

intoxicated Guest

this didn't start since day one... and if it's a virus... how come other users are fine but me... don't they use the same file to play those sounds...

10. koko

koko Got Root?

do you have a built-in sound card on your mobo or did you add one?

11. dav3st

dav3st OSNN Addict

weird
    as last resort you can try deleting your profile (profile not user) from another administrative account, and then logon again, you'll lose your customizations, but i think the sounds will be there again
    however i would play a little bit with the registry first
    the settings for the sound are in
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents"
    and the defaults are in "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents", this is the profile that you get at first logon
    i would delete appevents in hkey_current_user first, then export HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents to a file (right click over the key-> export) open the file with a text editor as notepad, and replace all HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT with HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    finally save the changes and import that file
    sorry for my english
    hope this helps

12. intoxicated

intoxicated Guest

koko, for the sound card question... i have a built in one... i didn't add any...

and thanks for the registry tip, dav3st.... i'll try doing that....

thank you.. hopefully this works...