SP2 Uninstall problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

so i install SP2 update to a Dell which has SP1. (my girlfriends parents).. im telling them how great the security is, and the built-in firewall and blah blah...

so it load and great, everything is functional.. i goto update it again with the new updates MS has,.. updates.. and on reboot i get a bunch of little blue vertical lines.. not long.. but short.. probably 100 or so.

i reboot and the same thing.

so i try to uninstall SP2 with "$NTServicePackUninstall$\SPUNINST.TXT" on the command prompt from cd (after a load from cd, recovery console...)

i goto "BATCH SPUNINST.TXT" and its not there... it says it cant do it.. so i say screw it.. to Safe Mode i go.

in safemode i delete the update 824141.. or atleast i try.. it says something is missing and it cant revert to the original. so i say screw it,.. dont revert.. but i keep the uninstall going.

big mistake.. the reboot takes me to a big fat error and nothing is good at all.

i try to reinstall windows OVER the existing partion of windows (C:) and ahhhhhhhh!!! now its saying "the procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be loacated in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

so i press OK, and W&*@*(&JMND(!! grrrrrrr!

this is where i am stuck.

do i need to reformat?? i'd like to avoid it since there are so many pictures and all sorts of mom things that are crafty and her brothers essays..... (i dug a deep one here)

help guys!! i know you can do it!! you guys rock! :) :)
    honestly. thanks for any help.

-alan

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

boot in safe mode with networking and share the drive and then take all the impotant files off the drive over a network and then replace them when you are done formating.....I do this everytime i have to format my laptop

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

like Zeke said - you'll need to take ownership too and I guess you minimum needs are another computer with a crossover cable. Let us know if you have those, or maybe others have some more ideas....

Have you tried booting to last known good config? Or Recovery console? Or sfc/ scannow? I think the last one might be good for you if you have no network capability - let us know....

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

find another NT based machine, plug the hdd in
    pull the data off, slipstream sp2, format, install, neck saved :D

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You might have gone a bit too far for this to work but it might be worth a shot.

6. dubstar

dubstar format c:

i cant boot into safemode anymore.. i have already begun the the new install over the previous install.

or can i??

7. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

well = let us know when you try - so long as you did not select any formatting you should be able to get that data back and save your neck - I think everyone that posted to help would like to hear back how you do it too - so let us know!