SP 1 update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Oct 17, 2002.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Anybody know if and when there will be updates to XP SP1. After downloading SP1 I find my system runs more slowly and occasionally when clicking on a desktop icon/program I get a hesitation and all my icons dissapear for a couple seconds and reappear, however some of my toolbar icons are hiding. It certainly could be some other problem but I've read a ton of reply's about SP1 making their systems run worse...

2. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

It will probably be long time before SP2 comes out. I haven't had any problems with SP1 at all. It could be some 3rd party app that could be causing your problems. Just a guess.

3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well to be honest I don't know why your system is running slow. But the one thing I have noticed is that a clean install of XP then install the SP before any other programs and such seems to work better then having everything installed then installing the SP. I know that because I've done both and the clean install seems to work better at least imo.

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I must agree

After putting it off for monthes I finally gave in to it and yes without a doubt the clean install and sp1 before anything else is a better way to go ... in my case its a slipstreamed xpsp1 cd and I have to say OH YEAH BABY!!! its all good

:D :D :D

5. i also did a CLEAN install of both WinXP and SP1 and my computer runs better than it ever has before!

6. napalmnthemorning

Great! I'll give it a shot.. Is there any way to save some of my updates, etc, without burning a copy onto CD..

7. chastity

Well most of the updates that you got windows update are in the SP there are a few that weren't but I don't remember what they were.

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I just did a clean install of sp1 home ed. Went to the update site & there are 3 critical updates waiting. A bit over 1mb.

9. napalmnthemorning

OK, great.. Now for the stupid question for you experts.. Does anybody have a link to "how I can do a clean install"... Do I use a back up floppy disk, or use another partician on my hard drive..
    I don't have a CD burner so How can I do this without loosing important software updates and programs I've downloaded? or will I loose all this..

10. chastity

well since you don't have a CD burner, you have to make a partition and move all of the stuff you have downloaded and/or want to save to there or if you have a network with another computer move it there.

11. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you have partitions move what you don't want to lose onto a partition other than xp's. No partitions, no saving anything when you format.
    To format have the bios set to boot the cd rom first. Insert the xp disk & boot up. Follow carefully the instructions on the screen.

If you don't have many programs use floppies to save them. :eek:

12. napalmnthemorning

Thanks a ton Chastity and HD>>>>