Soyo / P4 Overclock Issue

L

Luna64

Well I don't know if this is normal, but it's strange to me.

I have a Soyo P4 Ultra and a Pentium 4 1.6ghz chip.

I can overclock my RAM and AGP slot fine, but when I change the FSB to my P4, Windows always goes to a BSOD while booting and my system crashes and restarts.

This happens even if I increase the voltage to my Cpu.

But....

If I install the IDE chipset drivers that came with the Soyo, I am able to take my P4 from 1.6ghz to 1.9ghz + and still be stable (with increased voltage)

This only works with the IDE chipset drivers that come on the CD. If I download the latest Chipset drivers (SIS) then I am unable to overclock agian. I get the same BSOD.

I am just wondering how the IDE driver can fix such a problem ?

Or how this all works itself out :huh:

I'm not sure if your board has a pci/agp lock when you overclock but if it does you should use it. If it doesn't or its not enabled that may be your problem. Your IDE channels are linked to your FSB also and just giving your hdd a little extra might be unstable with that driver version.

I'm not too sure if my theory would hold though. Try another earlier set of drivers from the website and see if the same thing happens. Can't really think of anything else at the moment :huh:

ahh

Maybe I did not say this correctly.

Using the default XP IDE Drivers it crashes, but it also does it with the latest IDE drivers. But the ones that came on the CD work fine.

Anyway, it's not really a problem. The drivers cause no problems. I was just wondering why it would not overclock w/o them.

Strange thing is that Soyo no longer provides the latest IDE drivers on their site for Windows XP. Seems that they removed them :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back