Source Scripts

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Lee, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I am looking for some code to prevent the use of ''view source'' in tool bars of all browsers.

I wrote something for preventing direct copying, from right/left clicking images.

I wonder also if it works with applications like internet booster to stop them copying my sites.

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

cant be done, no matter what you try i will be able to see the source by using firefox etc or by opening it with dreamweaver etc from my temp files.

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Like Heny said .. can't be totally stopped and trying to do so only makes your site annoying and drives ppl away .. I know I don't visit more then once any site w/ all that anti-right lick and blah blah blah.

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Absolutely 100% impossible. At the end of the day, your source gets sent to the browser, therefore it can be extracted no matter what you do, even if the user has to go to the extremes of capturing the packets in-between server and browser.. it's doable.

And blocking the use of right-clicking should be punishable by biro in the eye. There are many reasons for legit right clicking, viewing properties of the page, wanting to copy some text, wanting to open a new tab (sometimes the third button is picked up as a right click too) and so forth.

So yeah, it's not possible, and the pointless methods, which only usually work in IE, will basically drive visitors away.

5. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

yeah those crappy no right click messages are a pain when scrolling with mouse wheel/ open new tab

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Not to mention that some browsers simply have View -> Source from the menu, and that images can simply be left-click->dragged off the page.

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Agrees 100%

8. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Also if you want to copy an image you can always just screen cap the page, so disabling clicking. doesn't work.
    In short, as others have said, if people really want your code/pictures theres nothing you can do. You can only stop not very clever people and annoy eveyone else

9. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

My script don't display any message, just does nothing.

If you click a link here to something that's been uplaoded a picture, when trying to view source from view it's greyed out, this is why asked.

I will put in my prevention script I got and you can see.

Or maybe you would like to see what I used years ago, which i undertood to be lame.