sound slot on mobo

dubstar

format c:
video has its own, when does sound get better? im sure somebody can design something that deliver better than a PCI slot...

agree / disagree ??

I doubt its really all that necessary at this point in time, and can only see it raising mobo prices and creating a rift in the soundcard market. You would then have PCI and whatever this new type of card. I have an audigy 2, and the sound is perfect.

Besides, with PCI express coming as fast as it is, it won't be long before PCI is outdated anyways, and the new soundcards would just work with the new PCI slots, nuff said.

Dubstar: Sound already had it's own slot. It flopped. Don't you remember AMR? (Audio/Modem Riser) The PCI slots aren't what holds audio back, it's the cards. Want better audio, get a better card.

i didnt know about AMR, sorry. I wasnt trying to get personal about sound cards, im just saying its a practical theory.

There is nothing wrong with th PCI slot. It's fast enough for sound and since it's digital you can't make a "better" slot for sound. Unless you use so many bits for the sound that the PCI bandwidth is not enough. But that's pointless.

So, no special sound slot. :)

I think one of the reasons the AMR failed is because there are, afaik, at least four (maybe more) different types of them, all with different names, all incompatible. You need a global standard to make things work. Everyone jumped on AGP, that's why it's still around (and thank god!).

Given that AMR has failed to impact the audio market dismally.
I think it would be interesting if audio tech developers took the next step of sound card interface the same way as the GPU.
Now imagine dedicated 66/128MHz native audio slot 8X. It would certainly reduce bottlnecks as audio moves into the next generation. *slurps* :D :D;)

the 133mb/sec bandwidth of the pci interface is certainly not holding sound back. video has it's own slot because 133mb/sec isn't nearly enough for 100 million polygons and 100mb of textures to be pushed through all the time.

simple as that. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back