Sound card or speaker issue.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I have no idea what is going on here. I just reformatted, all of my settings are the same except I now have the most recent drivers on everything. That being said I can't imagine the reformat or the drivers are the problem.

Here's the deal whenever my system does ANYTHING. Loading a program, a page, scrolling the mouse wheel for godsake.... My speakers hum. Its kinda a feedback sound only real low. I thought maybe it was plugged in wrong since I just moved the system around. It's not though, the latest Audigy drivers are old as hell so it can't be that. My speakers are the Logitech 5300 or something like that. They are the 5.1 speakers with wired remote. I can live with the noise, I just want to know whats causing it or if its a sign of speaker failure or something.

Anyone?

Make sure the microphone is turned off in the audio control panel.

Make sure the on board sound did not get turned on during the reinstall.

Make sure the new speaker locations are away from flourescent lights, power bricks, cell/portable phone base stations, motors (fans), etc. Also, try not to plug amplified speakers into an outlet with any of the above.

You might have broken a shield wire in a speaker cable when moving them around. Unlikely with the molded retail cables.

Unlikely it's speaker failure, just one of those million things that go wrong when you mess with somethign that was working...

EDIT
Make sure none of the slide bars on the audio control screen are all the way up, keep them at 1/2 to 2/3's for fewest distortion problems.

Last edited:
Also make sure Line In is muted. I think this is another input that can cause problems when not being used.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back