Sony reader eBook - anyone?

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Mainframeguy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Has anyone got one of these?

I have a particular question - can you take your OWN book and format and upload it? Or are you restricted with DRM and all that shiz? :(

I have my reasons for asking - they are not against guidelines, because I wrote a novella as part of NaNoWriMo last year and if I can ever afford one of these to replace my stolen web-book and laptop it would be kinda neat to carry my own book(s) around too!

2. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 Let's blow something up. Political User

Here ya go:

3. Luna

Luna OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I am not sure about the Sony. I know the upcoming Amazon Kindle 2 will allow you to do this, but they will also charge 10 cents per document. I take it you already have the Sony though so this is not much help : x

4. bmclaughlin

bmclaughlin Let's break something.

I have a coworker that received a Kindle for Christmas... you can upload documents from a computer to it using USB.

5. Luna

Luna OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Good to know, I was not sure about that. I know it had a USB port. I think the 10 cents per document may have been for wireless transfers over their network.

6. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I have yet to try with other formats - but recently transfered a .pdf file there using native file xfer and it was good to go picked up by the native software ands displayed per any other ebook right away,... I suspect .pdf format is the key...