Sony develops 25GB paper disc

ming

OSNN Advanced
Sony is working on a paper Blu-ray disc that will hold 25GB of data, as Sanyo looks to develop a rewriteable version of its corn-based CD, which went on sale recently
b.gif

Sony and Toppan Printing are making a new mark on Blu-ray disc technology. The two companies have been working for about a year on printing data onto Blu-ray discs made mostly of paper. The companies are aiming to produce lower-cost discs and expand the use of the technology.

b.gif
b.gif
b.gif
Sony and Toppan announced the 25GB discs Thursday and said more details will be revealed at the Optical Data Storage conference this weekend in Monterey, California. The discs will be able to store more than two hours of high-definition video. Representatives from both companies were not available to comment on their plans.

The Blu-ray Disc format uses blue laser light and is considered a successor to today's red-laser DVD drives. Blu-ray discs can store more than five times the capacity of current DVDs.

Blu-ray disc drives are just starting to hit the market. Sony introduced a Blu-ray drive in Japan last year.

News Source: ZDNet UK

Amazing stuff, is there a link we can follow?

looks interesting

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the a method to store layers on a single area of the hardrive

you've read that no matter that even with a few overwirtes, information is still retrievable...this technology can be used to really increase a discs capacity

yeah i heard about it on Tech Live...well it was on there scroll bar at the botton yesterday but yeah...

looks good, but what speeds does it go at?

i heard blue-laser drives or w/e are being sold atleast for like 1000 dollars or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back