Something different

D

dustyputer

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Knoppix Linux, works directly from a CD but make sure that you download the en (english) version.

I downloaded the ISO file (698 Meg, 1h15min for me), used ISO Buster to extract the files and burned the CD with Nero (I have XP Pro).

The CD is suppose to be bootable but for me I had to create a boot disk.

After the files are extracted I went into a folder call KNOPPIX and did a boot disk using a file name "mkfloppy".

I boot up with both the disquette and the CD and it works just fine. There is two software for Internet, a bit slower than IE in XP but working as well. There is also games and some other stuff that I have to play with in order to see what it does.

I'm not a Linux knowleageable person but this one is really easy to use.

Have a good time

It is fun having high speed but I have to say that the first time I downloaded the file.....I downloaded the German version so I had to start over again :)

Hope you'll have a chance to try that software, very easy to use.

I am actually on Mozilla from Knoppix. Slower than IE but there is another option for Internet and it is Konqueror Web Browser which is faster than Mozilla.

Do you happen to know how to save an image from my desktop with Linux, is it the same than XP, for me it is ALT and PrtScn.....does not work with Knoppix....

I downloaded the ISO file (698 Meg, 1h15min for me), used ISO Buster to extract the files and burned the CD with Nero (I have XP Pro).

The CD is suppose to be bootable but for me I had to create a boot disk.
Erm, that would be because you extracted it first! if you just burn the .iso using nero it will keep the bootblock in tact and the CD will be bootable.

I downloaded today Mandrake 9.0. Took me all day to do it (3 CD) and I did the samething which is extracting the files and burned them with Nero. I was not able to burn without extracting the files first with ISO Buster, neither Nero or Roxio was working even for Knoppix Linux. I had to extract the files in order to be able to burned them....

Now with Mandrake 9.0 I did a Boot Disk which I use to access the Disk 1. I need to choose a SCSI driver for Linux but there's a list on the screen and I don't know which one I need. Also, it tells me that the CD doesn't seem to be the Linux installation CD that I have and it is the one to start the installation. With the CD without using a Boot Disk it gives me the starting screen with the option of Installing Linux but that it will rebote my computer. After rebooting I end up to XP again.....beats me, I'm a newbie with Linux so I don't have any ideas about how to make it work.

Any ideas

Specs:
A7V333 with Raid/ATA133 drivers installed (Lumberjack U 1014 BIOS installed for ATA133)
XP 2100+
512 DDR

Do you happen to know how to save an image from my desktop with Linux, is it the same than XP, for me it is ALT and PrtScn.....

I use gimp, select file=>Aquire(sp?)=>screenshot. don't know if you have the gimp installed on your build

Thanks MaDHaXX, I don't know if gimp is on Knoppix. If it's there I will give it a try.

I had to extract the files in order to be able to burned them....
Why? Nero handles .iso images, open nero, go to file>open then pick your .iso and burn. I've done it many a time here with no problem.

Nero was not burning the file if it was not extracted before and Roxio Easy CD Creator was saying that my HP burner was not supported....beats me

Now, Mandrake 9.0 is asking for a SCSI driver, I don't know which one and I can not install without it.....

There's one thing I'm learning right now is to be patient with computers....sometimes I have to do something else for awhile and come back :D

Linux Knoppix no problem, it is working fine but it's not "installable"...hehe sorry for creating the word...

Mandrake 9.0....well that famous SCSI driver is giving me a hard time....patience, patience, patience....:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back