some sort of video adapter

A

ajsx15

ok. i dont really know where to post this, so i will just post it here... ok.. i was wondering. is there some sort of an adapter i can get that goes from the video card and like spilts the video signal so it can be displayed on 2 monitors... here is a diagram to see kind what i mean. if its possible to get soemthing like that. let me know..

a lot of modern cards do it...

my radeon 8500 will do it as well as many gf4's but make sure that you are getting all the stuff...

i.e. I have one vga output and one dvi... with a vga adapter to convert....

vga for crt's and dvi is for lcd's :)

look around... can't be that expensive..

yeah but i dont have any dual video crap on my card. so its pretty much the only way i can do it, i dont have agp slot so i am not going to bother getting getting a new card.

You either need a Dual capable video card (most nVidia/ATI cards with VGA & DVI outputs can do this with a DVI to VGA Adapter), or two seperate cards, one AGP and one PCI (yes, they still make PCI video cards)

Edit: Two PCI cards will also work

JJB

also, i have a 4mb pci video card laying around.. i was wondering if i could put that in there, but i do have onboard video, and if i were to put in that video card along with the onboard video, would i be able to have some daul monitor action?

yeah i know they still make pci cards. the thing is, i dont have any agp slots, haha, so can i have my onboard and then a pci?

you could get a kvm monitor switch and play with the wiring inside and then bingo, you have a splitter. It is really easy to make a splitter like that. All you need is the monitor cable, some parts from Radio Crap and a soldiering iron

well, can i just set up dual display with the onboard video for one monitor and a pci video card for the second monitor? if so, how will i set this up in windows?

also can i have the monitors set at different resolutions then each other?

Just inserting the PCI card should work (unless the mobo has some auto turn off on the onboard). The resolutions can be different, no problem. The onboard is likely to be the primary, but it may be possible to change this (not sure).

how will i go about setting it up in windows? does it automaticly detect dual display? does it have an option to select each display and change the resolution for it?

Yepp. Just go into Display Properties and it will look a bit different. You can select each screen and set resolution, colors, drivers and so on.

alright thanks. i am going to try it out and post the results. thanks for the help.

well heres what i did, i shut off my machine, popped in the other video card, and hooked up a monitor to it, then i noticed, my main onboard video isnt sending out any signal, and only the pci video card is showing stuff, so i guess it disabled the onboard video when the pci card was put in. so i shut it back off, took out the pci video card, and my onboard now works again. is there some way to set it not to disable the onboard video???
i am going to try a couple different things

do you have the motherboard manual? if not, if you can determine the brand and model of the motherboard perhaps you get more info from an FAQ at their site.. onboard video does suck horribly though.. as a last resort maybe you can score a couple of 16MB or 32MB PCI cards at a used computer store or the Bargainfinder..

no motherboard manuel, its a stupid ass intel board i got on this crapway(gateway) computer. i know what kind of board it is., look at the screenshot of sisandra crap with the board info. well if anyone can find any info on that board, let me know. if ya need more info let me know.

so.. i called gateway.. to see if they can help me out. i talked to 7 different people. they all said everyone of them said, it is IMPOSSIBLE on ANY computer, to have 2 video cards running at the same time to have dual display. really i wouldnt believe a word that they say, becuase i dont think they have any idea what there talking about. so i dont know what to do now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back