some applications i need?

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
after recently beginning to use a windows desktop (for various reasons) i dont really have a huge amount of idea on what software i can use to get the same tasks done :confused:
i need some recommendations of the following:
  • A html/php editor (with syntax coloring & any other cool features)
  • a SSH client, i use PuTTY currently but are there others?
  • a FTP client, currently i use SmartFTP but i dont like it :p
  • an IRC client, not xchat (i want a change from the *nix and mac boxes) or mirc
  • anything else you feel is a must
so far all i have on it are; AdAware 6 Pro, Gaim (+GTK2), AVG 6, WinRAR, HiJack This!...

any help would be great :D thanks

- I think there is something called Textpad Pro (or something) adds colours to syntax
- I use Putty
- I purchased a copy of FlashFXP
- hehe

- Get Steam and Counter-strike :D

I too am in need of a good html editor other than notepad with syntax coloring & any other cool features

I use SSH Secure Shell Client 3.2.3 - much better than Putty... imo

FTP I use WS_FTP Pro ... always have. Have tried others but always have gone back to WS_FTP... it works and works well.

I use mIRC with Acidmax... works well, easy to back up and no problems with it.

----------------

Xteq - always good for those little things you want to change. Much better than TweakUI

PC Wizard - various info about your system

CPU - ID - more info than youll ever need about your CPU

REAL Alternative 1.34 - better than REAL PLayer

QuickTime Alternative 1.34- better than Quicktime...

-----------------

This is assuming that you have the standard stuff like Office, DIVX decoders, PS7 (min), WinAMP and of course Unreal Tournament 2004 and the Original ... so that when the server is online we can use Electronic Punk for target practice :D

For the text editor, that's easy, use http://www.editpadpro.com/ - there's a free version called Edit Pad Lite, which I use. It's very nice.

As for Real and Quicktime Alternative, 1.35 of each has been released now.

Sean, you might want to install SFU, which will give you access to a large number of UNIX command line tools, including *the* SSH client. =)
http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38499

Editor: If you need only syntax highlighting, there's a really lightweight, freeware app called Notepad2. It's basically the regular Notepad, with line numbering, and syntax highlighting for lots of languages.

FTP client: FileZilla!

IRC: Apart from X-Chat, you could use HydraIRC (quite a nice one too). Of course, there's always mIRC too.

For the editor, I recommend TsWebEditor. It has syntax highlighting, line numbers, FTP support. It can also (at least in PHP) show you a tooltip when you try to use a php function, the tooltip is the exact syntax for the function, very handy sometimes.
I use TWE for 2 years now, and I quite like it :D

EditPlus is the best txt editor (does php and many others syntax highlighting via add in scripts)
Filezilla for FTP

A html/php editor - EditPad Lite is supposed to be good, I just use Notepad on Windows.

a SSH client, i use PuTTY - PuTTY is the don. There's SecureCRT(?) but it costs something like $99.

a FTP client - FileZilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an IRC client, not xchat - You need a slap for the mere suggestion ;p give bersirc a try, tis open-source lovelyness.

anything else you feel is a must - iTunes, Thunderbird, fireFox, VideoLAN, a block of cheese.

yup i use the usuall FF, TB, Adobe PS, Adobe Acrobat :D

thanks for the suggestions, im using filezilla and besirc now B)

irc : Hydrairc :eek:
ssh: Putty :D
ftp: ws_ftp pro
html: dreamweaver :p

Henyman said:
html: dreamweaver :p
nope i dont want no WYSIWYG editor, i want lightweight and quick.... dreamweaver is far to bloated and slow for me... however i did buy Macromedia Studio MX 2004, but i mainly used it for Director etc, but it was the mac version too anyway :p

Notetab is a cool prog. I like CuteHTML also, it is a good html editor. It will edit any type of web content - HTML, PHP, Ect ..

:eek:

NetRyder said:
Sean, you might want to install SFU,
just went for a look now, and i thought it was only going to be something like maybe 28Mb :p but its 222.8 :eek: should have guessed that microsoft bloatyness..

im installing Slackware 10 on another drive for this pc this afternoon :D so i dunno who much XP will get used anymore lol ;)

Windows Longhorn is what u should be running :p. It makes since cause nobody is makin viruses or anything for LH that i know of so u would be free worrying :p.

meh, i steered away from install slack again, i shouldnt muck around so much.. but im using notepad2 now... its rather nice and simple, exactly what i was looking for :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back