Software DTS Decoder

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Petros, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Is there any such thing as a software DTS decoder?

I could get a hardware decoder for my Klipsch Promedia 5.1s, but it would cost $70.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yeah I think there are DTS codecs. Don't know any off hand, but there should be. Can't your soundcard do DTS decoding?

3. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I have the same speakers as you and they don't like any decoder except the one that klipsch sells :( sorry

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I have an Audigy 2, but I can't get it to output anything but really loud static when I play DTS files.

5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

same with my SB live 5.1 with ac3 DD decoder and my Nforce 2 soundstorm also with a DD decoder built on speakers just don't like it. I think that 70 dallor part takes the anolog inputs from the speakers and converts it into a spidif connection for DTS but im not sure

6. Zedric

That sounds useless. Do the speakers have analogue input? Use those.

7. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

sounds useless maybe but spidif is 1 cord and is digital so it has better sound.

8. Zedric

You're right of course, but if you have a converter with an analogue side it doesn't really matter if you ask me. 3 analogue cables can be put together anyway (taped, striped, cable hose).

9. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

yah I know but the sound quality is better for digital

10. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

it's not if you are taking it from a analogue source, you're right, the quality is better if it never goes trough a DAC, but if the converter takes Analogue from the PC, and converts it to a SPDIF, it's going through a DAC, then ADC, then another DAC. That's lossy, and if anything, it's worse quality than the Analogue connections would be.

11. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

good thing my computer has spidif :)