SoCal folks - did you feel the quake?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by NetRyder, Jun 17, 2005.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

There was yet another earthquake here this morning. It's the third one since Sunday. The first one (magnitude: 5.2) happened on Sunday with the epicenter in Riverside here in Southern California. It happened sometime in the morning, so I just slept right through it. My parents didn't wake up to that one either. I was in LA, they were in Orange County.

The second one started up in Northern California on Tuesday and it was much stronger with a magnitude of 7.0. That one actually raised a tsunami warning, but thankfully nothing has happened.

Today's quake had its epicenter in the San Bernardino County, just east of LA. This one again had a magnitude of around 5.3, and it was definitely very noticeable. I was downstairs microwaving some food and I saw the glass doors to the patio shaking and rattling for a few seconds. Anyone else here feel it?

Wonder what's going on... :eek:

2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Its the end of the world man, but hey... atleast I will have beachfront property now. I live just east of Sacramento.... hehe.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

We're practically neighbors...ha. Maybe I'll have beachfront property too someday :eek:

Lots of volcanic activity in this corner of the ring of fire...just had a 7.something off the coast near the oregon border and now another good rattling in LA.

LA area ca. 2008:
    [​IMG]

4. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

i was rockin', but my kids never even noticed... :)

5. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

i was like "****!"

6. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

On the topic of weird weather...we actually had a Tornado warning here in Calgary last week :s

8. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Another one? I wonder what's going on with mother nature now. Last year 3 successive hurricanes hit Florida, and now this. At least the last quake was of a smaller magnitude then the second.

I hope this isn't a prelude to something more nasty (read an 8.5 or 9.0+ magnitude quake) building up alog the fault line there such as the one we saw about 12-15 years ago or so...

Nothing, even half as bad as a quake, but we've got several days (at least) of 100+ degree weather headed our way from what some were saying.

/me must get A/C in car fixed...

9. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

It's called global warming among other things. :p

10. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Global warming? yeah, thats why its raining in california in the middle of JUNE!!! :p

@Unwonted - where abouts do you live? I live on the 80 corridor.

11. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Yuba City/Marysville area

12. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Well a few degrees change in one part of the world can change weather across the globe, and has.

13. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

On Monday I went out wearing me big winter coat and gloves,today it's t-shirt and short's weather :speechless:

14. Son Goku

What I sometimes found funny...

Hot in Washington DC, it's global warming

Temps drop, imminent and oncomming ice age.

I've actually heard both argued, sometimes intermittently :D

15. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

So when will the Isle of Cali be formed :cool:

16. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

Well, I'm not a geologist but global warming would make a difference in terms of the volume of water in the sea, but nature could also be causing these events itself without the global warming factor.

Remember earth is a unique planet and has always been unstable to some extent, even after the coming of the ice age.

17. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Yuba City Marysville? I know there was one off the coast of Eureka, but that's nowhere near Yuba City or Marysville. Did I miss something?

18. Son Goku

Actually, as to the polar caps, there is a slight matter to take into consideration. One's talking like -70 degrees C (I'd have to look it up again to get the precise temp, but it isn't even close to the freezing point of water) around much of the polar caps.

Now, if the air were to warm up (but remain below the freezing point), it could hold more moisture (higher saturation point) which could fall as additional snow. Rather then melting, they could well expand a bit...

Counter-balancing this though. Even as I'm looking at temps above 100 degrees down here in NM (before the official start of summer), my parents living up in Maine have been telling me that the weather has been crappy and cold there. My father was telling me "but we're getting one day of sun, and it might warm up a bit..." :D

LOL saz :up:

19. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Same here on the east coast in New Brunswick. It's been confirmed that at least 1 small tornado touched down and did some damage about 50 mins west of where I live. First time I've ever seen a tornado warning for here.

20. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Heh, not anytime soon, I would hope. :D