so how safe exactly are automatic bios updaters.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by VenomXt, May 9, 2004.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

so how safe exactly are automatic bios updaters. abits flashmenu to be specific.

i have serveral problems that would be fixed with an update but is it still risky.

and i backed my bios up and its a .bin file.. but it dint make a .cue so i dont know how to burn it short of using winiso to convert.

maybe im going in the complete wrong direction..

ideas guys? and girls?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

As far as auto bios updates go I've done around 3 with MSI. No problems at all. Downloads & installs itself, reboot, done.

3. shokpin

shokpin OSNN Junior Addict

I've done two with my DFI board. No problems at all. I dont even have to restart :) It flashes them w/o rebooting.

4. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

Sray,

I've always owned Abit boards and never had a problem with their bios updates. Just follow their instructions and you'll be fine.

You just need to make a startup disk and put the awdflash.exe file on it as well as the .bin file and anything else it extracts when you download it. Also, use their recommended command flags (IE /xx /xx) and you'll be fine.

5. VenomXt

hehe i have no floppy so if something goes wrong i guess bootable cd?

6. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

I use Asus; I swear they have the worst software developers in the entire motherboarding world. Seriously, I've never had any of their software work *just right* usually I end up having to reset the CMOS with jumpers. Its all in good fun though, some motherboards have dual bios, so when their customers screw it all up trying to update, the system can swap over to the backup bios from which the second can be restored. :)

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have updated my bios for 3 separate msi boards through their auto-updater... total of I believe 7 updates for the 3 boards and have not had 1 problem thus far...

its pretty safe as long as you don't have an itchy trigger finger...

8. Daeron Tinúviel

Daeron Tinúviel OSNN Senior Addict

i have an ABIT mobo i have use the flashmenu and it works just fine and havent backup the bios what i'm trying to say that it is pretty reliable

9. Shrek

Shrek Kenya believe it...

I have a Asus board and I have never had a problem updating my bios with ASUSUpate, worked everytime.

10. VenomXt

worked great for me thanks for all the post guys :)

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yeah. the only time you would probably HAVE to worry about BIOS update software is.... like in a thunderstorm or something where there's a chance of your power going out and shutting your computer off. other than that, i've never had a problem with mine.

12. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Same here.