small cluster size.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by teddy bear, Apr 7, 2002.

1. teddy bear

teddy bear Guest

i just ran a diagnostic program on my hard drive, and it says i have a 1 kb cluster size. i used the pcpitstop.com diagnostic program. is there any way i cna fix that to increas my performance?

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

a small cluster size means that you can store your files more effectively, but I never heard of anything going that low, which file system you using and what size hard drive. If it is NTFS then regardless of the drive size a 4Kb cluster should be used. You could try running convert.exe as that might help it converts drives to 4Kb NTFS, though I would recommend backing up your drive first.

3. teddy bear

teddy bear Guest

yes, it is ntfs. i did a full install and had windows convert my system to ntfs at the bootup. i guess windows sucks at formatting

4. Geffy

did you have the XP installation Convert your old hard drive to NTFS or did you do a clean install and format the drive.

I would recommend doing a NTFS format not convert from problems I had after convertion.

5. teddy bear

teddy bear Guest

i had the installer format the harddrive

6. Geffy

you've got me stumpted, have you tried looking through the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
    If you havent search for
    NTFS, 1KB Cluster, Cluster Size

Hope this helps, as I cant think of anything. You could try getting Partition Magic 7 it may be able to help, but I am not sure.

7. teddy bear

teddy bear Guest

ive got partition magic 7. i will see what type of help i can get on the pcpitsotp bulletin board. thanks for the help