slower boot-up time after system restore question...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by U2Penn, Mar 21, 2003.

1. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

Before I restored my system to a previous date my boot-up time was around 42 seconds. Now since I restored my computer to a previous date the boot-up time is almost 90 seconds. What could cause this? I have the same applications starting at boot-up as before I did the system restore. thanks in advance.

2. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

I don't recall the whole story as to how or why - but it seems like I read somewhere that XP rearranges things on its own so that over a period of three boots it puts things in a "better order" at startup to make it more efficient.

Maybe after the restore it started all over again and will get better with more boots??:huh: :huh:

3. daddyo

daddyo OSNN Addict

get Bootvis and run it. It did wonders for my machine. It's an application that optimizes the start up process. I boot up in 17 seconds, and I got a raft of stuff running.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Also check these services>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
    it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Go to the control panel/admin tools/.
    2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

5. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

With BootVis, remember Trace first, then Optimise.

Also you could try the trial of Diskeeper, and give their Boot Defrag a run, works good (I don't like/use their regular defrag though).

6. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

thanks so much guys. all the help i can get i appreciate since i'm not an advaced computer user.

7. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

1. run "regedit";
    2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
    3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.
    4. reboot.

8. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

guess what? my boot up time is back to normal. thank u so much. the info/advice i've gotten off of ntfs.org since i came here is priceless. :)

9. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

XP does do its own sort of BootVis but it takes a few boots for everything to be "learned" by XP. I believe you are right abot three boots. Prefetching must be enabled for this to work.