slowed down boot

B

bmxjt

I added a DVD ROM drive today and now it takes about an extra minute and a half just to boot up. I am running the boot HD as master and dvd rom as slave on the primary IDE and then a second hd and a cdrw drive on the secondary ide. Before I had the dvd rom, the cdrw drive was the slave on the primary and the secondary had no slave and it booted in like 30 secs.
any suggestions as to how to fix this

are you setting it to auto detect all the devices in the bios? you should just go to the bios and set the stuff to what it is, or use the auto detect then save that so it doesn't check eachtime it boots

hmm.. not sure.. I will have to look into it a little more. thanks

this is your problem...your setup is wrong...the optimal setup is to have the master AND second HDD on the primary IDE and the cd-rom devices on the secondary IDE...thats the way to do it...

ok but initially when I put the two dribves together on the primary IDE, my bios wouldnt recognize the new HD. The master HD is a Western Digital 6gig and the new one is a Maxtor 20gig. I tried it over and over and it didnt find it until I moved the Maxtor to secondary

my bios is set to not auto detect each boot. I do have it set where each HD and CDROM drive is listed specifically.

ok, so i got a new cdrw drive today and installed it. Upon doing so I reconfigured the IDE primary and secondary/master slaves. I put the cdrw and dvdrom on the secondary (cdrw master. dvd slave) and the 2 HDs on the primary (boot hd master, new hd slave) and it did the same thing as when i originally tried to install the new HD. It WOULD NOT detect it at all. So i split the hds and the drives and now it boots fast and correctly

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back