Slow loadup to Desktop.

C

Catalysm

Hi there,

Seeking help here. Everytime I load up my computer, it takes 3-5 minutes to loadup. I'm using Win XP Professional Edition. This is not a case of a slow computer as the specs of it are :

1.6ghz Athlon XP (1.4ghz).
512 PC 133 SDRAM.
Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4400.
Western Digital 20.4 GB, Ultra ATA 7200 RPM.

A puzzle is a friend's computer which the following specs:

1.2ghz Athlon XP.
256 PC 266 DDRAM.
Geforce 2 MX440 64MB.
IBM, 80gb Ultra ATA 7200 RPM.
Win XP Professional.

Load's up extremely fast, taking less than 30-45 seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1) Download bootvis and then choose Trace>Optimize System.
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp
2) take the things you dont want out of your start up folder.
3)Go to start>run and type "msconfig" then go to the startup tab and uncheck the things you dont want to run when your computer starts.
4) In msconfig go to the boot.ini tab and change the value of the box called timeout to something between 3-999. I think 200 is the default.
Hope this helps

sounds like you have the XP NIC card lag..

If your using your NIC card.. gonna have to live with the slowness. If you have a nic card and not using it, disable it in the device manager and you will see the 30-40 second boot time.

If your booting 3-4 minutes without a nic card... something is else is hanging it up. run the bootvis proggy to find out what it is.

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I do have the lag as I have a NIC Card. Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

Having a nic card and being part of a network are 2 different things.
If you are not part of a network, open MSCONFIG and on the services tab, remove the check from 'workstation', reboot.

Originally posted by Outlaw21
Having a nic card and being part of a network are 2 different things.
If you are not part of a network, open MSCONFIG and on the services tab, remove the check from 'workstation', reboot.

Cool you rock! I tried that. I did help some. Still considerably slower than without the nic card, but also considerably faster on boot. Thanks for the tip!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back