slow computer performance

Do you have the "advanced speech recognition" stuff turned on? I know that when I turned it on, my computer was extremely slow, and would do really weird stuff like fill in text boxes with seemingly random words and characters. Once I disabled it, everything worked fine. (I've only got 256mb of ram though)

The refresh rate of your moniter should be decided by the computer unless the monitor's manual says it can go at higher rates

Yes!!! the voice thing! I did turn it on, and it was a mess. My mike is not good enough for it and in the typical Microsoft fashion, I got an error message recomending me to buy a USB mike....

and I think that's why my Outlook is acting weird. I did turn it off on the Tools menu in Outlook. Is there another way to turn it off?

I am starting to think that the problem has to do with my login account. I tried to login under administrator in safe mode and it did not recognize my password. Also, now, when I click on "add/remove programs", the icon won't open the program. I cannot also open the "services" and "performance" programs.... it's either some evil trojan, or a corrupted personality....
Oh well, more tinkering to do..

DarkSiege, you can change a moniters refresh rate if you want. If the refresh rate is not supported by the moniter the screen will look garbled and you can just hit escape to retore it. 60hz is bad for your eye's and recomended minimum is 75hz.

Things got weirder and weirder. I tried to do a System restore and found myself unable to start windows. Some DOS message telling me that there was a missing file and I had to install it.

Luckily, I had an image from Powerquest's Drive Image that I had done last week, when the system was running fine. I will also create those startup disks that I have seen elswere in these pages. Is good to bacup! thanks to those who tried to help. It was a weird one...

your p3-500 is bottlenecking your whole system! plenty of ram, powerful video card, but slow cpu which can't keep up to the rest. that's your problem right there. geforce3 on a p3-500? doesn't sound right. get at least 800-1ghz

yea i know what your problem is, uninstall xp and install 2000. easy as that

it's been running ok since I restored the image. I uninstalled both Black Ice and PC-Cillin. I also unloaded the G-force tweak utility and I am using an earlier driver (2312). My 3dMark2001 scores are getting decent for my processor type. But I am starting to feel like I m ight just defect to the MaC side. A friend of mine just did and I saw it. It has not crashed once in a month, it's pretty fast and the graphics look great. I will probably get a lot of crap for this, but does anyone feel the same way?

i have the same problem with my computer, i have temporarily solved it by turning off the paging file, and my computer is as fast as it ever was.

i have a duron 800 overclocked to 896approx.. with 640 meg sd ram, and had set my paging file to 960 meg approx.

however with my paging file turned on, my performance is absolute shite, with it off, its fine, however i cant load adobe photoshop.

any ideas for me?

Jeremy
:eek:

get the limit of ram for your mother board then you can just load the OS into ram and everyone's happy and giggling

sounds good Bootsy, but how do i load the os into ram? or does it automatically do it if there is enough?

J

turning off the page file i believe...never done it. I never had the luxory of having that much ram.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back