Slow Automatic Updates

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Quite disturbing really, what do you guys think?

Speaking of downloading updates I also want to clarify some questions I have heard lately regarding why some customers have seen MS06-040 downloaded or installed while some of the other updates have not appeared yet during the same interval. With Windows Update we have the ability to prioritize updates in order to ensure that we are providing the broadest customer distribution possiblefor a particular update or set of updates given the relative threat. Prioritizing of the updates is done taking into account the threats identified with each individual release. As we have seen and has been identified by others the threat presented by the vulnerability addressed in MS06-040 prompted us to do everything possible to ensure that customers received the update with the highest possible priority. The is a normal behavior and if you have not seen the rest of this months updates yet on your computer rest assured they are coming and this is perfectly normal. [Emphasis added]
OK, they won't come right out and say it, but this post sure seems like confirmation that some customers who have Automatic Updates enabled still have not received some or all of the Critical updates that were released one full week ago. Is this normal? Is it new behavior? Is it a temporary condition?
I asked Microsoft yesterday if they have quality-of-service metrics for Automatic Updates and whether there is a maximum number of days customers should have to wait for Critical updates to be delivered. I also asked for some technical details on the architecture of Windows Update. That information is not available in the TechNet article linked to in the above MSRC post as a good source of information "about how Windows Update works." I have received no response to that request.
Last April, after returning from the RSA Security conference, Debby Fry Wilson, director of the Microsoft Security Response Center, published this post on the MSRC blog:
In our world, press coverage is one of the most efficient and broad-reaching ways to communicate to the world at large during a security incident. Therefore it is absolutely essential that we deal with the media with the same integrity and transparency that we endeavor to achieve when we communicate directly with our customers.
We rely on the media to help us amplify up-to-the-minute critical information to customers when there is a security issue. Therefore, it is a hard-core standard practice for our team that there be no waffling, no sugar-coating, no hyping, no anything but the bare bones facts when interacting with the media on security issues — which happens to be our same commitment in interacting with customers.​

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back