Sleazy Circuit City Ripping Off Xbox 360 Customers

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by failurbydesign, Sep 1, 2006.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

Found this over at xbox-scene.com

"How bad does Circuit City want your money? So much so that the retailer is willing to "instal" backward compatibility on your Xbox 360. Reader Brad snapped a photo of this sign at Circuit City in Newport Beach, California, which reads:
    [​IMG]
    Want to play your original xbox games on your new Xbox 360?
    Backward compatibility on the Xbox 360 is done through software*
    Let Circuit City install it for you
    For just $28.99​

Not sure where to start with this scam to fleece unsuspecting customers, but "**** you Circuit City" will do for now. This unscrupulous retailer is trying to convince customers, who sadly do not know better, that this is a service they need--much like extended warranties and aftercare. Backward compatibility isn't even something that Circuit City can really install! I guess they can, but it updates over Xbox Live. And if you don't have an internet connection, Microsoft will happily send you the backward compatibility software, which users can easily install themselves."

2. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Yeah that sounds like Circuit City

3. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

circuit city is ****, no wonder no one shops there, how are they even able to operate anyway.

4. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

Just for the record, they aren't talking about me.

And yes, CC sucks.

5. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

we have another brad now, sorry man your on the out haha. :)

6. Brad

I thought that Brad was on xbox-scene.com

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You probably deserve it if you bought an Xbox 360, j/k, but for real you probably do. :p

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ummm, sadly 90% of consumers would need someone to install the software for them. It's a tech illiterate world we live in. Think how many questions get posted here where all you have to do is read the manual or be able to spell google to find an answer.

PS I'll do the compatibility install for $24.99. ;-(

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I don't really see the big deal, as Leejend said this is something a lot of people would need.

They offer a service, no one is forcing anyone to purchase it.

If I spend 300 or 400 on a system, pending the model, and I see that as something I want and don't know how to do, that's a reasonable price.

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

No everyone should work for free they should not charge for their time or internet connection how stupid is that.

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Along these lines I met the girl of my dreams today.

She was drop dead gorgeous, blond (real), young, etc. But what made her perfect was she was ranting about the SOB's at Best Buy trying to charge her $200 for virus recovery. She was offended and asked them if she could just delete everything and install the programs back herself. They grudingly said yes, that is just what they would do.

She went home, surfed the web for instructions, found spybot, installed it and ran it, updated her antivirus and the machine was fixed. (It was just advertising software.)

I want to father her children. There need to be 100's of millions more like her. Sigh...

12. Brad

Did you ask her out?

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Just wondering how you found all this out? In the sense you were with her at the store and at home, you sly dog ;)

14. Tranky

Tranky OSNN One Post Wonder

I simply stopped going to their stores since they cheated me $350 on phone rebates few year back. They just do not have very good business practice.