slackware

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by punkandacoke, Dec 11, 2003.

1. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

Im thinking about installing slackware...but 4 CD's!!
    do I really need all four of them?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

nope, you should only need the first 2 at the max, I haven't installed 9.1 yet, but with 9.0 you only need the first one. The other cd's usually just have packages and such on them.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, only the first two. The last two CDs are the source.
    Enjoy Slack...it's a superb distro. :)

4. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

thanks guys.
    most of the packages that are on the other cd's are availible on the net, correct?

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

6. NetRyder

Here's how I go about it:

- Check http://www.linuxpackages.net for all your tgz needs, and just use installpkg to set it up :D
    - If there's something you can't find, you can always get the source archive and use the usual "./configure", "make", "make install" routine.
    A nicer way is to install CheckInstall (look here). Once you have that installed, you go through the same procedure but use "checkinstall" at the end instead of "make install." This basically does the same thing as "make install" but also creates a Slackware tgz package out of it. So you can safely delete the source and the Makefile, and just use pkgtool/removepkg to uninstall it later.
    - Another alternative when tgz packages are unavailable is to download rpm packages, and use Slackware's built-in "rpm2tgz" command to convert them to tgz packages. Remember that you still have to install the dependencies yourself though.

That's it :)

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

you can always go to the source (no pun intended) at slackware.org.

8. j79zlr

I just installed 9.1, I'm happy they included the broadcom 440x driver. It was a pain to install on 9.0. (read here for info), actually not hard after figuring out how to do it ;) but anyway, looks nice, I wish slack had an easy update procedure like BSD or Gentoo (thats next on my list)

9. NetRyder

Yeah, the Broadcom drivers were a welcome addition. :)
    As for upgrades, have you checked out Swaret? It's not nearly as elegant as the ports tree in BSD/Gentoo, but it does the job quite well. I actually upgraded my entire Slack installation from 9.0 to 9.1 using that. Just don't ever use it to update the kernel.

10. j79zlr

Thanks NetRyder, never used that before, going to have to check it out. I really only screw around with slack a little here and there, since its on my main PC which is usually booted into XP.

11. j79zlr

Thanks for the heads up on swaret NetRyder, seems to work like a treat. I just installed 9.1 and upgraded to -CURRENT, took about 35min. Very cool. Off to fight with my onboard sound...