Slackware 10

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Scott Thomas, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas r3bel.4.ever

Has anyone here ever used it? If so, does it run pretty much like Redhat, or totally different? I am going to be using it because it supports NTFS unlike Redhat....

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Redhat supports NTFS, you just have to install the support. Linux is linux, but slack and redhat have different package management systems.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, RedHat can read from NTFS partition as well. Might need a kernel recompile...I'm not quite sure.

RedHat also tends to have a more wizard-based approach to configuring the system. Slack tends to involve config file editing a lot more often. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of personal preference really.

4. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas r3bel.4.ever

Yea I had already tried reconfiguring the kernel and was unsucessful. I dunno though, Linux will be hard to learn after using Windows for so long.

5. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Yes, you need to enable support for mounting NTFS partitions when you compile the kernel, that is all you really need to build in support for NTFS on Redhat. I'm not even sure if the kernel that comes with Slackware 10 even has support for NTFS built in.

6. j79zlr

It does

7. karl_axe

karl_axe OSNN Addict

can anyone tell me why 'make oldconfig' does not boot properly when recompiling a new kernel?

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Did you make sure everything was set correctly? If it doesn't boot, what error are you getting?

9. j79zlr

you can't use make oldconfig with different version like 2.4.x kernels and 2.6.x kernels. I've always had problems with it, only takes about 10 minutes to config a kernel after you know what you are doing