Site Finally Completed

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by kcnychief, Mar 28, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

So over the last 2-3 months I have been working on a website. It is finally completed, at least for the most part. I have to do some tweaking on the text, a little bit of the layout, but for the most part it is there.

You guys all give really good tips and critique and such, I'd welcome any and all suggestions to improve it :)

Thanks!

http://www.djrcs.com

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Okay first thing. Nifty animation on the logo. However, I think it shouldn't be on a loop. Make it play just once, then stay static. Second, I think you need to replace the header. It's too busy, and the repeating doesn't help.

Perhaps ditch the animated logo and just replace the header with a simple version of the logo?

Oh yeah, your email has probably been harvested by all the spam bots already. Put in a PHP based contact form on the contact page instead.

Finally, maybe you should make all the headings in the text a different color? At least make them a larger font size.

Overall I think the color choice is great. It LOOKS professional, so props. I've seen many "business" websites on these forums that look like utter crap.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Nice job. Clean and professional looking. Though for some reason the forum looks familiar to me.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Yeah, forgot to mention that you should get the forum skinned so that it blends with your site - looks more professional. Wouldn't hurt to make it open in the same page too :p

5. kcnychief

I knew that would come up, and it does.

I don't have any hacks or mods installed on the forum, except for one atm while I'm testing stability/functionality on others. The "look" is the default skin for vBulletin. I don't really see a need/reason to change, and the color scheme matches the logo in the top left nicely.

I did mimick some of the setup here, but hey, immitation is the highest form of flattery :p

EDIT: Skinned to match the site isn't a bad idea, interesting concept.

6. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

You need to tell the visitors which part of your site they are looking at. For example, if I click on Contact, it just takes me to the page, and Contact is not highlighted.

Try this for a *GREAT* book that is extremely easy to read and very valuable to excellent website design.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

8. kcnychief

Yeah I have been meaning to do that, just fixed it. Thx ;)

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

The animation for the djrcs services in the bottom left is nice, but it really distracts me from reading any of the text on your site. Because each time it lights up with bright white, causing my eyes to wander.

As for the email addresses on the contact page, you should probably remove them, or be prepared for a lot of spam. Could use a form of cloaking using JavaScript, or even better, replace it like Grandmaster said with a PHP based form that will send you the email, means you will get a lot less spam.

10. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I'm with GM and X. The logo needs to stop after one go through. Very distracting.

11. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

Also you might want to check the css script for the left hand buttons for the home, services and About us page page - the text is out of alignment if you compare those tabs to the forum and contact pages.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Nice but black?? Business sites should never be black. Ever. :)

Also ignore those who would have you remove email addresses - a business should make every method of contact highly visible and easy to use. You do not want to be using email forms.

The spam thing canbe avoided by havig a seperate mailbox for business stuff so you can wholesale delete spam in outlook or whatever.

13. kcnychief

Great suggestions and input guys, keep them coming :)

I hope to implement some of these over the next few days, and will update as progress is warranted ;)

14. kcnychief

Got the forum fitted with a new skin, have to work out a few kinks with it but overall I like it :)

15. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

Looks Very Nice KC!

16. kcnychief

Thanks ejn :)

17. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

By the way KC, is your blog still up? I cant access it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  18. kcnychief

Not sure, you tell me :eek:

19. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Hi - been offline a few days.... still not spread enough rep around to give you any Dereck, so the least I can do is check your site and give feedback.

One thing no one has mentioned I think is that you have neither incorporated any "links" page (you know, might want to give one over to OSNN to keep in EP's good books for when you want any link back?). More to the point perhaps I am not sure if you wanted to have a "link to us" page that gives a few banners or buttons with HTML for people to link to your site. i am never sure how much these get used, but really even if there's just one or two it is worth having there, not necessarily on the main page of course, unless you wanted to take the "ABOUT US" and shrink it to the bottom alongside a "LINK TO US" but that is detail - the only point I wanted to make, do you want to have a "link to us" page? Might be useful if you want to know where you get linked from also, you can ask them to contact you and give a separate email....

20. kcnychief

How would I stop an Animated .GIF from looping?