Sidewinder Doesnt want to work

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lisa, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Lisa

Lisa Guest

I bought myself a Sidewinder Plug and Play gamepad today.
    I plugged it into the usb port on my computer.... and
    nothing happened.

I tried unplugging it and plugging it into another port,
    and nothing happened.

I opened the device manager to check the usb controllers.
    I see an Intel 82801BA/BAM Universal Host Controller -
    2442 and an Intel 82801BA/BAM Universal Host Controller -
    2444 and two Universal Root Hubs. All are apparently
    working properly.

I tried going to install the device myself - through the
    game controllers in the control pannel. However, when I
    select Microsoft Sidewinder, it tells me I've got a
    Sidewinder 3d pad pro that isn't connected. I don't.

Running XP Home on a P4 2 Gig with plenty of hard drive
    space and 64 MB memory.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could be doing
    wrong?

Much appreciated.

2. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

Lisa, I doubt there's anything you are doing wrong.. USB is plug n play, so all you need to do is plug it in and Windows should detect it.. there are two possibilities here:

1. the gamepad is defective and needs to be replaced

2. your USB drivers are not working properly

Do you have any other USB devices? If yes and they are working properly then the gamepad must be the problem.. I would take it back and get it replaced..

3. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Thanks Robbie. That was it. A faulty controller. I bought a new one and plugged it in and it did its thing straight away.

I felt like such a stereotypical female, unable to make a plug and play joypad work. When the bloody thing was broken to begin with. Humpf.

4. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

ack, don't feel that way.. there's lot of guys n gals who are just learning about puters and all the little details.. the important thing is you learned something new and got a controller that works.. happy gaming!!

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

lol... if bought a joystick and it wouldn't plug-n-play for me, i'd find myself reformatting and trying all sorts of measures before coming to the realization that maybe the damn thing was faulty. }:p

6. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

lol, yeah that's a bit extreme.. I ususally end up doing things teh hard way.. so many of us do.. a while ago I decided to upgrade my video card from a Geforce2 MX400 to a Radeon 8500.. I got a Powercolor Radeon 8500 'powered by ATI' thinking I'd save me a few bucks.. when I installed the card my machine would boot but I got no video.. tried playing with BIOS, no go.. installed old card, worked fine.. reinstalled new card, same thing.. luckily the old card did work so I knew it wasn't my system.. I took the card to the office and tried in another machine and same thing so I knew teh card was fooked.. got a replacemtn, same thing.. said to myself 'fook it' and spent the extra on a true ATI Radeon 8500 and haven't looked back...

7. fedele

fedele Guest

lisa you are cute...may I ask you why is it stereotypical to not know something computer related??is ignorance a "girl thing"??