Shuttle Barebones

L

leebobs

Has anyone else seen those Shuttle barebones systems on sites like gemma.co.uk???

What do you think of them?

Is the small size really worth paying in excess of £175 for when you lose expandability, lack current features and they make so much dam noise?

Andy

Build your own, that don't sound like a good idea. Most barebones include parts they can't sell.

tip: build your own, it has what you want, and you can tweak it how you want.

I believe what you're refering to are the sub mini Shuttle cases. They're great for certain situations. IE, mail server, college student that needs something for word processing, internet only. They are not meant for the power user. But by using the NForce chipset, they do pack a decent punch. Also, they are highly portable.

nforce chipset? haha... no no no, my friend... the sv24 and sv25 us the via pm133 chipset which had onboard prosavage video... barely suited for watching flash animations. they are definitely not for any power user... but they are kinda neat.

i built one for a friend's aunt with the cyrix c3 processor. the whole thing puts out like no heat but it is way too loud for it's purpose. i know that 80% of the noise is coming from the power supply fan, though... at least on the sv24/sv25. i didn't feel like cracking open it's power supply and changing the fans voltage since it wasn't mine.

when you buy one, you just get a tiny cube-like case and the tiny mobo already installed (i'd hate to get it in there myself). they have ones out there now with ddr and even one brand new one with an agp slot but only for p4. that particular barebone would cost you $360, plus about $220 for the p4... no too mention memory, hd, optical drive and video card. it'd be cheaper and faster to build your own in a mid-atx case... but it just wouldn't be as nifty. }:>

ss51.jpg

the new one ^^^ has ata133, usb 2.0, ddr333, onboard 5.1, agp4x, firewire, and supports the 533mhz bus. plus i think they fixed the problem with fan noise. not bad, if you got the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back