Should I reformat?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HellyHans, May 14, 2002.

1. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Ok, quick question. Ive been running two systems, one with NTFS and the other Fat32. I want to go NTFS ( I was just testing things)

So should I reformat the drive ( It's not a real big deal in my case right now ) Or should I convert? Are there any disadvantages to the convertion? Does it make the system as stable as a first formated NTFS system.

Thank you

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

I'd go the reformat root, I dont know of any advantages or disadvantages, but I like a fresh start
  3. oxy

oxy Guest

You should be able to convert it with no problem, if you have to do it that way. Although I am not so sure it would be as stable as it would be if you were to format the drive.
    I would format, repartition, and then go ahead. It would just make me feel more comfortable, personally.
  4. dijital

dijital Guest

i agree, its a lot better to do a fresh format if you want to switch file systems.
  5. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I've heard of some slowdowns when converting, so i'd have to go with the crowd and say you should do a fresh format, it's always best for everything to start clean :)