shortcut to shutdown WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jcj8008, Dec 29, 2001.

1. jcj8008

jcj8008 Guest

c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows I used this in a shortcut to shutdown Win98se. Anyone know how to do it in WinXP?
  2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Open a command window and type "shutdown." This will pull up all the switches used for this utility. I tried it, it shuts XP down ok, with the proper switches, but I could'nt figure out how to take advantage of the ACPI feature to power down all the way. The furthest I got was that "It's now safe turn turn off blahblah."
  3. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Cornwall Nr. England
    Yeah, I made links on my desktop to shutdown, and restart with the following commands

"Shutdown -s -t 01"
    The -s is for shutdown
    the -t is for timer (defaults to 30 seconds)
    the 01 is for the time in seconds

"Shutdown -r -t 01"
    The -r is obviously for restart etc.

But as Lonman say's these commands do not power down the machine. There are standalone utilities out there to do this for you, but where would it all end??
  4. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

if you are annoyed by the timer counting down for 1 second, you can actually cahnge the delay to 00 and it will shutdown or restart right away
  5. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Cornwall Nr. England
    I think the point I was trying to make was that
    A: The machine won't power down and
    B: Why get third party software just to shut down the machine when there's a perfectly good built-in system.
  6. jcj8008

jcj8008 Guest

Thanks alot for your help. I tried what you proposed and it worked beautifully. :) XP is a whole other world than Win98: I was just getting to the point of being able to do tweaking in 98 when I upgraded.
  7. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

oh i know what you were asking.......i was just adding a tip for anybody else that wanted to use the restart shortcut. I use it very often and when i first started i thought that the delay could be a min of 1 sec, but then i realized that it can be 0. To a user like me every second counts!
  8. reboot

reboot Guest

I use this one, for a complete instant restart:
    %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 00 -f
    It closes ALL running apps, and restarts the computer.
    For an immediate shutdown, it's:
    %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 00 -f
    The -f closes all apps.