Shortcut to Shutdown Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, Dec 13, 2006.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

I know there is a short cut for shutting down your pc but is there one for shutting down a program, IE7 actually. I have installed it and it works fine and i like it, only problem is that it wont shutdown completely, the window closes but it is still running in task manager.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Thread title modified.

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

mine shuts down completely so I wonder what's keeping yours launched

are you sure you aren't looking at explorer which is differant then internet explorer?

if you looking at the right process and it doesn't close, are then you have an issue that needs to be resolved, ie stops running when you shut it down

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Also true, and good point about explorer vs. iexplore - was just trying to answer the question :p

More details about your issue may help brocher.

6. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

If you're using XP you can use the TASKKILL command. It allows you to kill using the Process ID or rhe executable name. It also allows wildcards. I use a batch file that calls TASKKILL and have a shortcut to the batch file on my desktop. Very usefull for a bunch of apps that have a tendancy to lockup.

7. brocher

brocher Moderator

No it's definately IE7 as it's "iexplorer" thats still running. Don't want to be closeing "explorer" now do we!!

How do you use taskkil and where can i find it?

8. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

you need to find out what's keeping it loaded before you use a bandaid to shut it down

9. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I agree if IE is not shutting down then you need to find out what is hooking into it and preventing it from closing. I see you have popupcop running so maybe that is causing problems with IE.

Checked for rootkits?

Another thread by same member about this problem and has a hijackthis log.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=87786

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  10. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

I agree with the other guys. This is only a stop gap solution to your problem. You really should find what is causing the problem.

If you wish to use TASKKILL, it's part of Windows XP. Just open a command shell and type taskkill /?
    That should give you the instructions on how to use it. Here's a link to a page on Microsoft's website that will also give you instructions on how to use it http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/taskkill.mspx?mfr=true

11. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

As a test to see if an add-on is the problem try the following.

Make sure IE is not running then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools

There you will find an icon to start IE in no add-ons mode so run IE from that then see if it closes OK.