Shortcut to Shutdown Internet Explorer

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I know there is a short cut for shutting down your pc but is there one for shutting down a program, IE7 actually. I have installed it and it works fine and i like it, only problem is that it wont shutdown completely, the window closes but it is still running in task manager.

I know there is a short cut for shutting down your pc but is there one for shutting down a program, IE7 actually. I have installed it and it works fine and i like it, only problem is that it wont shutdown completely, the window closes but it is still running in task manager.
mine shuts down completely so I wonder what's keeping yours launched

are you sure you aren't looking at explorer which is differant then internet explorer?

if you looking at the right process and it doesn't close, are then you have an issue that needs to be resolved, ie stops running when you shut it down

Last edited:
Also true, and good point about explorer vs. iexplore - was just trying to answer the question :p

More details about your issue may help brocher.

If you're using XP you can use the TASKKILL command. It allows you to kill using the Process ID or rhe executable name. It also allows wildcards. I use a batch file that calls TASKKILL and have a shortcut to the batch file on my desktop. Very usefull for a bunch of apps that have a tendancy to lockup.

No it's definately IE7 as it's "iexplorer" thats still running. Don't want to be closeing "explorer" now do we!!

How do you use taskkil and where can i find it?

No it's definately IE7 as it's "iexplorer" thats still running. Don't want to be closeing "explorer" now do we!!

you need to find out what's keeping it loaded before you use a bandaid to shut it down

I agree if IE is not shutting down then you need to find out what is hooking into it and preventing it from closing. I see you have popupcop running so maybe that is causing problems with IE.

Checked for rootkits?

Another thread by same member about this problem and has a hijackthis log.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=87786

Last edited:

I agree with the other guys. This is only a stop gap solution to your problem. You really should find what is causing the problem.

If you wish to use TASKKILL, it's part of Windows XP. Just open a command shell and type taskkill /?
That should give you the instructions on how to use it. Here's a link to a page on Microsoft's website that will also give you instructions on how to use it http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/taskkill.mspx?mfr=true

As a test to see if an add-on is the problem try the following.

Make sure IE is not running then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools

There you will find an icon to start IE in no add-ons mode so run IE from that then see if it closes OK.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back