Sharing one connection

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mr. Sushi, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

i saw my friend do this and i wanna do it too. i have a netgear router for my two comps. and i want them both to share my one 56k connection. the old one is on windows 95 and the new one is xp home. how can i get them to share the conention like my friend?

2. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Either read the instructions that came with the netgear router or check their websitte for more info. If the Router was meant to be used for the internet it will have instructions.

3. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

it's really confusing. does anyone have exp with netgear?

4. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Just a guess ....
    Most of these usits are set up via the web browser - set your IP settings to DHCP and set everything to auto (server assigned).
    go into the command prompt : Start-run-cmd
    type in ipconfig /renew and you should get new IP settings - normally look like:
    IP 192.168.1.---
    Sub 255.255.255.0

You can then enter the IP of the router into web brouser:
    normally http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (it should tell u that in the manual).

From there you should be able to configure the router to use your account settings for the ISP you are using.

Once settings are complete - the workstations should work by setting them all to DHCP.

5. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

one guy said windows 95 cant talk to XP. is that true?

6. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Windows 95 has no problem seing windows XP shares as long as you log on to it with a valid users account - that is the same user as one that has been set up in XP.
    This also applies to Win98/ Me / Win2K/ other XP boxes.

for the XP box to see the Win95 machine - make sure u have the File and Print sharing for microsoft added in the Network options and that you have a folder or drive shared.