Sharing Laptop with desktop problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by AcftMecH, Oct 11, 2003.

1. AcftMecH

AcftMecH OSNN Addict

I have my desktop connected to my laptop via cross over cable. I have them networked using TCP/IP. They both see each other if I ping them. I share each drive and have them mapped in windows explorer so that I have drive letters. When I transfer files from my desktop to the laptop, it is very very fast (no problems there). But when I transfer files from the laptop to the desktop, it is very very slow and will eventually time out giving me an error: cannot copy xxxxx (file): the path is to deep. But it isnt like I am copying deep within a drive. I am copying to the root of the shared drive.

I dont think it is a hardware issue. but here are the specs:

Desktop (host)
    1 ghz amd tbird - XP Pro
    512mb ram
    netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
    workgroup name: tester
    IP address: 30.0.0.1 (static)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: NA

Laptop (client)
    2.4 ghz pentium4m - XP Pro
    512 mb ram
    realtek 10/100 rtl8139/810x fast ethernet NIC
    workgroup name: tester
    IP address: 30.0.0.2 (static)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 30.0.0.1

I share my cable internet service (connected to my desktop PC) via a proxy, the internet works well on my laptop.

Also the samsung laser printer is connected to the desktop (via USB) and I share it to my laptop, and it prints just fine.

When I set up the shares (on both computers), I shared the entire drive, not just certain folders. Could this be an issue?

I hope this is enough information. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Quite strange.
    How long is the filename? Try shortening it to the minimum length possible.

3. AcftMecH

AcftMecH OSNN Addict

yes it is strange. its not s long file name issiue either. i have tried any type of file name..... short, long, symbols...etc etc...

still the same result.

could the 2 NIC cards be confliting each other. Like they are not completely 100% compatible? Just a thought.

AcftMecH!

4. AcftMecH

AcftMecH OSNN Addict

aaaacccck! hehehe i broke down and let the flies outta my wallet and bought a cable router. network works like a champ now. not for sure what the problem was with that, but i suspect either NIC conflicts of some sort, or bad crossover cable.

AcftMecH!

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Great! A router is a lot more convenient in any case, and it acts as a nice firewall layer too. I'd say it was a good buy. :)

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

well, glad you uhh... kinda solved the problem. might have been a bad crossover cable. if it was a NIC conflict, then it would have probably had the same effect either way you transferred. doubt it would be possible for NIC 1 to be fine with NIC 2, but NIC 2 have a conflict with NIC 1.