Sharing/internet/network Problem

Since when did you have a NIC in your machine and on board networking too? Did they ever work together? Why might you need them?

If you have networking on your mobo then I would recommend using that and removing any other NIC card on your system - I know from experience that chances are they will conflict and your drivers may not be working right.

Bman™ said:
grr why does hard things like this happen to me :(
It's not only you,I have a router but for the life of me I cannot get 3 pc's to work from it only 2.Been trying for weeks now and it just will not work.I've now admitted defeat.
:mad: :rolleyes:

I thought that my network did NOT have a gateway computer. I checked out the computer that is working, and it has "Local Area Connection" which is normal and I see on the other computers, but it also has "1394 Connection" & "WAN-1 on SMC7004ABR", these 2 I have never seen before. Does those make it the gateway computer.
I tryed to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, in the properties of "1394 Connection" and then on the main computer, it could not use the internet, and neither could the others. So that did not work.

"Client for Microsoft Networks" & "File and Printer Sharing" are all installed for all the computers. Oh and the lights are blinking.

1394 is your firewire card, don't worry about that entry. The WAN item seems like it would be your old direct connection, without the router. You should remove it. OK, I'll run this down, there are two options, either use DHCP from the router or don't.

Step #0) Make sure all firewalls are disabled. Make sure all the PC's have both the Server and Workstation services set to automatic and they are running.

DHCP) You have to have the network card properties set to automatically obtain IP address [this is default]. Nothing needs to be configured, it will be done automagically. Make sure the DHCP Client service is running.

Static IP) Set each PC's IP address manually, using the IP address of the router as the gateway. If it is the default address, assuming 192.168.1.1, then you have to set each PC's IP address and DNS servers. Open the network properties of the card and specify
IP 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, etc. This must be unique for each PC.
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS: your ISPs DNS servers

From here on the directions are the same for both.

Make sure each PC in your network has a unique name, the same workgroup is not necessary, workgroups really dont mean anything. Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in the network properties of your NIC.

If you are using XP Home, there is nothing to be done except share something, all security is done through the Guest account.

If you are using XP Pro, disable simple file sharing, then make sure you have identical user accounts with passwords on all the PCs. This is necessary. XP Pro will not allow accounts without passwords to access shares without modifying the local security policy. After that is done, share something.

Do not always rely on the Network Neighborhood, test connectivity by pinging by computer name, i.e.e PC1 and PC2 in network, run from a command prompt ping pc2. If you can do this, but the PC is not showing up in Netplaces, go to run and type in \\PC2, you should be able to access from there.

so now you are all sorted right? Be nice and give j79zlr the rep poin he deserves then.... ;)

Accually I just read it now, and its kinda confusing because I know almost nothing about this stuff. There is alot of stuff to do there that I dont know how, and I don't think I want too, because it might mess my dad's computer up too.
I will show my dad this, and then we might try it. If I end up doing and it dosent work, or something happens and it all goes back to normal, I will post what happens here.

Thanks everybody! (I am giving j79zlr rep points anyways) :)

Good info j,can I ask a few question's please? I can't make mine work either.It will only work 2 pc's and I want 3 on it.
I'm sure I did try all this in the beginning with no luck but I can't quite remember :rolleyes:

Make sure all the PC's have both the Server and Workstation services set to automatic and they are running.
How do I find this out?

Make sure the DHCP Client service is running.
How do I find this one too?

DNS: your ISPs DNS servers
And once more,how do I find this out?? :D

Sorry to be a pain I just don't have any idea about this stuff and I really want to figure it out and fix the problem.I don't want the stupid thing to beat me
:mad:

You use msconfig (type it in the address box or "run" from the start menu) and there's a tab for "services". I'm sure you knew this, so this is just reminding you really ;)

Then the services you want are pretty obvious - but when it comes to the network ones you need the "Network connections" and the "Network Location Awareness (NLA)"" services - don't worry about the Network DDE or DDE DSDM, these are stopped for me and I have managed what you are trying to do.

Mind you I did not do it with the static IP, but the DNS (Domain Name Server) should be something your ISP can furnish you with by way of information - or maybe they told you when you signed up? Maybe a quick check at their site can glean the info?

Hope you make progress - maybe what I told you is enough with assigned IP addies?

actually you should run services.msc from Start > Run, if you haven't touched these service configurations before, the services I listed should be running and set to auto.

If you are directly connected to the internet now, without a router, running ipconfig /all from a command prompt will list the DNS servers your ISP has assigned.

You do not have to assign IP's manually, but it usually helps to speed up booting since when using DHCP, IPs are assigned at boot time, and it can take a few seconds.

Another thing, some routers have a default IP that is not 192.168.1.1, I'm pretty sure DLinks use 192.168.0.1, so you would have to use 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc. Using a 255.255.255.0, you have to have the same first three numbers.

I checked out services.msc, and those services that you listed are set to manual. Do I need to change them to auto?

They should be on Auto, but if they are running it shouldn't make a difference.

I removed the network card I had installed, and installed the drivers for the motherboard ones, and now everything is working.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back