Sharing between two windows XP computers, problem.

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I have this problem with sharing files and printers between two computers: Mine & My sisters. Both are running Windows XP Professional. Neither of which have ICF Enabled. We are both connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 Router. This issue is apparently lying solely on my computer. I have assured we are both on the same workgroup, with File & Printer Sharing enabled.

Whenever I try to View Workgroup Computers, I get the following error after about 2 minutes of wait time:

error.jpg

As I have previously stated, this only happens on my computer. When I go to my sister's computer & go to view Workgroup Computers, it immediately hops to the correct screen, shows her computer as listed as one of the workgroup computers.

So... what could be causing my computer to be causing me to have that error: I would also like to state that I am logged in as the Administrator of this computer.

Disable simple file sharing and use identical user accounts WITH passwords on both machines.

I've had the same problem before. To solve it i ran the network setup wizard and rebooted, and unplugged the router's power supply for about 10-20 sec. Finally worked out for me.

The network wizard is useless, usually causes more problems than it solves.

Make sure all firewalls are disabled. I was pulling my hair out a while back because I didn't realize that Sygate had overstepped its bounds.

Unwonted said:
Make sure all firewalls are disabled. I was pulling my hair out a while back because I didn't realize that Sygate had overstepped its bounds.

Actually, after a bit of messing around with both my ZoneAlarm and Symantec firewall, I found I gived it the wrong range of IPs to trust, after typing in the correct range, my network works again...

So check to make sure your IP range is correct if you have a firewall running (windows Firewall doesn't really work that great but atleast Windows Firewall won't bitch at you for not setting a range of IP addressses).

Unwonted said:
Overstepped it's bounds? The job of a firewall is to block ALL until you make a rule not to. ;)

Nope, there are absolutely no firewalls running on either computer... I also fail to see how using the same username's / passwords on the same computer would fix the issue, since this issue is solely occuring on my computer. No router firewall, no software firewalls, no windows firewall.

Because it would, XP Pro does not allow blank passwords to access network shares by default. You can modify the local security policy, or do it the right way and use user level share access. I don't understand why it is like pulling teeth to get people to do this, it will solve your issue.

Well I'm not going to use identical accounts on both machines because frankly the second one isn't mine, it's my sisters as I have stated, so I just can't do that. I'm also failing to see that if the error states it's a permissions issue, how does having duplicate usernames fix this? NOT to mention the fact that this is only on my computer alone, and not the other...

Because XP validates network share permissions via usernames.

Well I think there's a lot more to it than using the same username's and passwords, because face it this isn't a common issue, not to mention the fact that on larger networks that would be useless and a security risk... So I'm hoping to hear other ideas.

Workgroups is sort of working... it will get there, but only after 1:30 - 2 minutes of waiting after I clicked to View Workgroup Computers... any ideas? These have got to be related.

on larger networks, a Domain controller is used to do authentication of users, similar but differenct and more secure. It isn't practical to setup a domain in a small home network. Actually it is more secure to use user level security, you can use NTFS security permissions to lock down files both locally and over the network. The point is not to use the same account, but have multiple accounts, each with passwords.

Disable the Computer Browser service on one of the PC's and leeave it running on the other, what you are describing sounds like a Master browser conflict. It can take up to 12 minutes between a computer logging on and being recognized as that is how often XP polls.

unless you're using a proxy, make sure the proxy checkbox is unchecked in the nic properties.
I have had this get checked on its own and will then get the same error message.

j79zlr said:
on larger networks, a Domain controller is used to do authentication of users, similar but differenct and more secure. It isn't practical to setup a domain in a small home network. Actually it is more secure to use user level security, you can use NTFS security permissions to lock down files both locally and over the network. The point is not to use the same account, but have multiple accounts, each with passwords.

Disable the Computer Browser service on one of the PC's and leeave it running on the other, what you are describing sounds like a Master browser conflict. It can take up to 12 minutes between a computer logging on and being recognized as that is how often XP polls.

Does it really matter which computer has this service disabled??? Or can I just disable it on mine and if it would accomplish something, it would?

Dade, what nic settings in particular are you talking about? It's not on in internet options, and in the NIC Settings in Device Manager there is nothing for Proxy...

Edit: Damn, I forgot, the Computer Browser service is already disabled on my computer... I believe it was disabled in the past strictly due to this same problem, and that was a recommended fix...

I think the issue has been fixed however now... I still can't figure out how I got the error message to go away, which after that went away it took 2 minutes to view any computers within the workgroup. I went with the Computer Browser service recommendation, which was already disabled on mine... I restarted it, and now computers on the workgroup come up quick again. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back