Sharing a printer on the network...

hndlthis

Can you handle this?
I have 2 desktop computers (windows xp) and 2 laptops (windows 2000) connected to the internet (verizon online dsl) through a linksys 4 port router. I would like to have all the computers share my printer. My computer is set up to "share this printer" but nobody can share it. Do they also need to set their computer to share a printer? How would I get all the computers to share my printer? Does my computer have to be powered on for them to share my printer?

Edited the title to make it more clear - NetRyder

They all need to be on the same workgroup, or domain.

Workgroup would be easier just give em all the same workgroup name for instance I put all mine on MSHOME workgroup, this is internal only so it don't matter what you call it :)

Skazz

Give this a ** read ** ..

And yes the computer that has the printer will have to be one for one of the others to print through it......

:happy:

1. Share the printer on the computer it's connected to.
2. Install a new "network printer". Browse the network to find it under the first computer.
3. The printer should be installed and be ready to print.
4. Repeat from 2 for all workstations.

Your computer that has the printer must be on if the others want to print. (Pretty obvious if you think about it :))

I would suggest giving the PC the printer is installed on a static IP. The install it on the other machines as a local printer. Choose create new port and then TCP/IP printer. Give IP of the printer and you are set.

Originally posted by RabidPenguin
I would suggest giving the PC the printer is installed on a static IP. The install it on the other machines as a local printer. Choose create new port and then TCP/IP printer. Give IP of the printer and you are set.
That's the hard way. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back